4 stroke chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just saw a senix 4 stroke chainsaw at lowes. Not really looking to buy, but just curious if anyone has tried it. I would think the throttle response would be a bit slower, and it would be a bit heavier than an equivalent 2 stroke. Do you think this is start of a trend, or will the concept die out?

How many cc? What kind of anti vibe? Price?

You can get into a 4 stroke chainsaw in the pole saw configuration from 3 major names at this time. Pretty crude designs the two brands I am familiar with, two valves with guides parallel with bore.

29 2 cycle choices at Lowe's website it seems.

edit I found a picture of it at Lowes of Canada. Not able to get to a page about it just sends me to a bunch of 2 cycle choices. I see the OP is from Alabama so maybe coming soon to a Lowes I visit.

SENIX | Lowe's Canada

"SENIX is 100 percent Canadian made and offer only the best in landscaping tools. Lowe's is the exclusive seller of SENIX landscaping products."

................................ I wonder if we could get a modern diesel powered saw.................................................

Here's Diesel engine ready to go to work, just rig up a clutch & bar....

;-))

Maybe not the latest technology but proven.

Attachments

• Changfa S195.jpg
    Changfa S195.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 18
According to the specs on Lowes-the 49cc model weighs in at 13.6 pounds and has 2.3 horsepower. That's a lot of weight for a saw of that displacement and power. I think that illustrates why a four stroke chainsaw has never taken off. If anyone could pull it off and make something competitive it would be Honda, but they're not going there. If they could-they would.

I suspect Senix thought they could deliver something that's more user friendly and easier to start, but based on reviews that doesn't seem to be the case. For those who want simple and user friendly- electric is definitely the way to go for the general public. Despite those who feel electric is part of a leftist agenda-it's really about making a product that makes sense for average users and has many benefits. In ten years the general public will look at gas saws and trimmers as a relic of an earlier time in the same way people looked at steam cars.

Hmmmm we have fuel injected chainsaw. I wonder if we could get a modern diesel powered saw. I mean once you put on the particulate filter and the DEF system you won’t be able to lift it but it would be cool
Maybe, maybe not. The new micro rotary diesel engine is nearing commercialization.

How many cc? What kind of anti vibe? Price?

You can get into a 4 stroke chainsaw in the pole saw configuration from 3 major names at this time. Pretty crude designs the two brands I am familiar with, two valves with guides parallel with bore.

29 2 cycle choices at Lowe's website it seems.

edit I found a picture of it at Lowes of Canada. Not able to get to a page about it just sends me to a bunch of 2 cycle choices. I see the OP is from Alabama so maybe coming soon to a Lowes I visit.

SENIX | Lowe's Canada

"SENIX is 100 percent Canadian made and offer only the best in landscaping tools. Lowe's is the exclusive seller of SENIX landscaping products."
Yeah frannie. I just saw it on the lowes sales floor here a couple days ago. I was curious, so i tried to find it on the lowes website, but they are not listing it yet.

According to the specs on Lowes-the 49cc model weighs in at 13.6 pounds and has 2.3 horsepower. That's a lot of weight for a saw of that displacement and power. I think that illustrates why a four stroke chainsaw has never taken off. If anyone could pull it off and make something competitive it would be Honda, but they're not going there. If they could-they would.

I suspect Senix thought they could deliver something that's more user friendly and easier to start, but based on reviews that doesn't seem to be the case. For those who want simple and user friendly- electric is definitely the way to go for the general public. Despite those who feel electric is part of a leftist agenda-it's really about making a product that makes sense for average users and has many benefits. In ten years the general public will look at gas saws and trimmers as a relic of an earlier time in the same way people looked at steam cars.
Im a big fan of electric when it makes sense. Chainsaws are just about at that point. Just a little more improvement in battery technology and gas chainsaws will be buggy whips. Sad end of a glorious era.

Funny commentary, it will be quite a while before electric chainsaws replace gas.

Battery technology is extremely slow development and commercialization. Unless you have deep pockets to buy batteries every year or more - and enough batteries to get a job done on a profit they will be a long while yet.

It is not like you can use large pack batteries like cars; 1/2 of their system is dedicated to cooling those batteries so they dont overheat and start venting, catch fire or explode.

Sure, small jobs where you have batteries for your drills, sabersaw, etc. That crosses over to a chainsaw is convenient, but unless there is a money or legislation reason to drop a few hundred or thousand a year on batteries...

There was discussion about a 42cc aluminum case Craftsman chainsaw on here a while back. I was able to find a way to order parts for it on line. I doubt it is worth the effort to ask a Lowe's associate about parts availability for something like this. Getting vibration values seems harder lately even using UK websites. I kind of expect higher values and hotter mufflers than 2t.

You need about twice the capacity for the same horsepower (a tad less because of efficiency, a tad more because of less revs).
With more capacity, comes more weight.
And the setup is far more complicated (which adds weight).
And then you have the lubrication. A 4 stroke normally runs out of lubrication when pivoting.
Honda has 4 stroke weed wackers. I've seen a couple, and none lasted. All because of seizures.
Chainsaws are pivoting all the time.
Like a bunch of comments already point out.
For small stuff, batteries already is the better option.
April Wilkinson said it, so it must be not at all because of the sponsorship.
It's a matter of time before the energy density is enough to cut a big tree without needing batteries on a car hinge.

There's a guy locally who built an all electric hot saw & was smoking the socks off of the 300cc nitro saw class with it... He used a series of 3 lithium motorcycle batteries & a re designed & rewound electric motor from a trike that now spins 23,000 rpm. Weighs about 40 lbs, but at 5.x seconds for 3 cuts in a 21" log that is not so bad.
Pretty sure he didn't charge it at all during the meet, so that's 36 cuts at least:)

You need about twice the capacity for the same horsepower (a tad less because of efficiency, a tad more because of less revs).
With more capacity, comes more weight.
And the setup is far more complicated (which adds weight).
And then you have the lubrication. A 4 stroke normally runs out of lubrication when pivoting.
Honda has 4 stroke weed wackers. I've seen a couple, and none lasted. All because of seizures.
Chainsaws are pivoting all the time.
Like a bunch of comments already point out.
For small stuff, batteries already is the better option.
April Wilkinson said it, so it must be not at all because of the sponsorship.
It's a matter of time before the energy density is enough to cut a big tree without needing batteries on a car hinge.
Stihl 4 strikes on stihl have to take mix as far as I know there is no oil in the crank case but I could be wrong

Latest posts

Back