4 stroke chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too late, the world has moved on. There are very few tools that a homeowner would be better off with choosing gas instead of battery electric. Nothing to do with leftist greenies, everything to do with homeowners just wanting an easy solution. 4 stroke saw = DOA.

Only way I see four stroke saws having a chance is if the government outlaws two strokes entirely, even for professional needs. Then I see either four strokes being developed, or more likely backpack batteries and a diesel generator back on the truck. Like most things government gets involved in, it would be more of a PITA for the people actually doing the work, probably wouldn't work as well, wouldn't be as safe(Imagine you're a faller, but now the saw is stuck to you with a cord going to a backpack!? Better have a quick release on that cord........), be ridiculously more expensive, and 99% of the time not actually achieving the end goal.

I have spent way more on labor using Honda trimmer/brushcutters than they cost. No seizures. 35cc Honda more powerful than 27cc Efco 2 stroke. Run .130 line kind of borderline. Pretty much any blade with a one inch holes.

Compare hp of Stihl pole saws 36cc four mix vs 40cc ht250 2 stroke,. Only 0.2 hp difference if I recall correctly.

Makita has a four-stroke cutoff saw. It’s a pretty slick unit, and if it can survive life as a cut off saw, it will be able to survive as a chainsaw. It weighs about a third more over the roughly equivalent (in displacement) Stihl (TS 420) or Husqvarna (K760), and it’s about a half-horsepower advantage over the other two. Something to chew on.

I still think we’ll probably be going electric eventually, but I feel like off-road and handheld large displacement small engines will probably be some of the last fossil fueled engines to go.

Latest posts

Back