4-Way Slip On Splitter Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there some slip on 4-ways that don't damage the original wedge or are they splitter specific?

I have a speeco 35 w/ the slip-on four way and it did tear up the top portion of the fixed wedge. What i did was cut the slip on wedge apart after it developed a crack in the factory weld, then put a piece of thick cardboard between the fixed wedge and the two halves of the 4-way and clamped the whole mess together. Then tack-welded w/ mig until I thought it was stable enough for a full weld (stick welder burning 7018). This allows the 4-way to pinch the sides of the fixed wedge with clearance between the fixed wedge cutting edge. Then I welded add'l material to the rear of the fixed wedge to act as a stop for the 4-way so it wouldn't spread the wings. Lastly, made a couple of passes w/ hardface rod and ground it to a good edge. Seems to be just fine now after about 100+ cords through it. Hope this helps.

Do you have this on your 22 Ton splitter? If so how do you like it? Thinking about getting one of those.

No way... If all I cut was ash and Oak, I'd have it in a heartbeat, but with all the Hedge and Elm I cut, there'd be more pieces I couldn't split than those I could... I kinda envy the folks with an endless supply of Oak to cut... :msp_angry:

Back