4 way splitter part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i first had this 4 way adapter built a couple years ago. Never worked good, the angle of the horizontal bars pinched the wood between them and the bed. Logs would get bound up and it was just a wreck getting things split, and then the ram back out. Finally got it over to the welding shop and told him what the problem was. We looked it over and decided that just cutting the leading edge off would not work so great, as then it was putting the split point a little too far back, and it would leave a lot less steel welded at he 90 degree point where the horz and vert parts meet. He welded up a couple beads along the edge and built it back up, then ground it down so that the only angle lead upwards, forcing the wood up and not any pressure on the down side. Gave it a quick try this morning. It does not pinch wood into the bed now. There is a little side-side play but I think tightening up the bolts will take that out. Have to watch the length of my split, the wedge can hit the foot of the bed now and thats really no good. I lost about 5" of bed length, but I am cutting 18-20 usually anyway. I wont be throwing 24" rounds on trying to crack them in one pass, but I get a lot of 12-16 rounds that will split with ease in 4 ways.

Back