4-way splitting of hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TysonH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I’m in the market for a new splitter and I had a question about four-way splitting.

Is there a rule for tonnage rating for four way splitting of hardwood, this would be black and live oak.

I don’t make it a habit of splitting crotches or anything too twisted up the splitter I was looking at was it 37 ton but it looks like I should be able to get away with a 30 ton that also has provisions for a four way wedge.

Thanks

I've got a Huskee 22 ton and the four way works great on straight grained Oak. Especially if the block is just the size to get 4 splits. If it's too big it doesn't work as well. Not a power issue, but you get two little splits on the bottom and then the two big pieces fall of and you can only grab one at a time. On twisted wood forget it. I seldom use it anymore, got a rhythm that works just as fast, Joe.

I split 99.5% hardwood with this: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/timberwolf-tw-p1-splitter-w-4-way-wedge.315221/

20 tons, 4" cylinder. I ran it for many years with good results. It was fine with everything that wasn't a horrible crotch (ok crotches were fine) or stringy-as-$*#& elm. Elm got split without the 4-way installed, or just given away, because I hate working with it.

The trouble with the big tonnage machines is that the increase in cylinder size (to get the tonnage) is not followed by a suitable increase in pump output. To me, cycle time is a bigger issue than tonnage.

I agree with Computeruser.
I've owned a TW-6, 22 gpm pump, and rated 28 ton. If you go with a four way, being adjustable up and down is a big plus. Splitting with a low wedge gives small splits. If those still need re-split you can do it one of two ways. One: push them through with another split and pick them off the out feed table (if you have one), or two: raise the four-way to untrap them, and pull them back with a pulp hook for re-splitting. Then lower the four-way before splitting again.
Rarefish383 has a good point about larger round splits falling on the ground and having to pick them up again. I found this to be very true until I modified the four-way wedge into a shelf.
A log lift also helps as a staging table to clear the machine for re-splitting, or build a table 4' long to capture the half split for re-splitting.
Also, look for a tall push plate or you will only be pushing the lower split through.
Another option to consider if buying new is a kinetic splitter and no four-way.
Super Split splitters are quite amazing, and the higher working height is a huge plus.
IMG_1467.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1522.jpg1006101220.jpgIMG_3742 (1).jpgIMG_3496.jpg

I have split around 1200-1400 cord with a 22 ton Iron and Oak with a 4 way wedge. I take off the wedge for really big pieces and really knotty stuff. Other than that, it goes through most wood smoothly.

So I’m in the market for a new splitter and I had a question about four-way splitting.

Is there a rule for tonnage rating for four way splitting of hardwood, this would be black and live oak.

I don’t make it a habit of splitting crotches or anything too twisted up the splitter I was looking at was it 37 ton but it looks like I should be able to get away with a 30 ton that also has provisions for a four way wedge.

Thanks
It's more than just the "rated tonnage"which is pretty much BS with most splitters any way.Is the rest of the splitter built to take the stress imposed by using a 4 way wedge?

What makes a big difference as well is the knife design. Need much less force for a sharp thin knife vs a big old dull wide one.
I can go through wood sideways quite easy on my processor.

I run a 6 way, it's quite rare I don't have enough power. I want to say it's around 15 or 18 tons.

I LOVE my 4-way wedge and pretty much use it 100% of the time, crotches go right through,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

For ME, it decreases my splitting time drastically.

SR

My frame on my cradle looks much heavier than Sawer does I figured how to make a four way removable and keep going. Many years ago tried to keep the four way on and finally gave up in the frame would not take the twisting, but some time when the wood is right you can process a a huge pile of wood. Thanks

Back