4 way splitting wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
how do you connect one to a huskee 28 or 35 ton log splitter or can you.

are you talking about the knife is on the piston? I dont think you can run a 4 way .
MD

Either they have one form Husky or you make your own. Get us some pictures of what you have.

how do you run a 4 way with the knife moving down the I beam ? MD

Like this

115246d1227921504-log-splitter-wedge-design-splitter-head.jpg

I read in another thread where Speeco makes them. Post even had the part # I printed it out but left it at the office.......said you can order them through TSC but the OP found out by calling Speeco.

do not have a splitter yet. just a general question. i am going today to negotiate on a huskee 35 ton or a ariens 34 ton splitter.

looks like you could put on on the ariens, but not sure about the huskee.

anyone got either one.

Northern tool sells one for their splitters, which have the moveable wedge. They also sell a generic one, which might work on the Speeco. It just slips over the existing wedge. Good reviews on it, though some had fit problems.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_28657_28657

I knew Speeco was working on a 4 way - didn't know they had one already. I'll have to look into that. Sure would speed things up when splitting the small stuff.

could someone post a pic of the 4 way wedge for the moving knife . I didnt think it was possible.
thanks MD

could someone post a pic of the 4 way wedge for the moving knife . I didnt think it was possible.
thanks MD

I found one on northern tool site ! I dont know why I didnt think it would work .
The model I saw are bolt on wings !
MD

I found one on northern tool site ! I dont know why I didnt think it would work .
The model I saw are bolt on wings !
MD

That's why they make welders!! Unfortunately you need a nice arc,mig,tig to weld that up. No walmart mig will handle that!

I dont have a picture to post but there is probably one in a northern tool catalog or maybe on their website. I have the 4 ways for my NT splitter, but they dont work for $hit. They work better on splitters that have the wedge or knife mounted on the beam, not the ram. Giving the split pieces of wood a place to freely drop off the end of the splitter onto the ground. But what happens if the 4 ways are mounted on ram is the bottom pieces of wood which are laying on the I-beam get lodged between the I-beam and the 4 way wedge, as the ram travels along. The top pieces can break away and will be forced up as the ram moves forward. But the bottom splits have no place to drop because there is a constant pressure between the wedges and the beam, until the ram is fully retracted. It puts a lot of stress on the splitter. I used the wedges once and never again. If I had paid for them I would have returned for a refund.

Northern Tool sells one that bolts to wedge. Works great with splitter in vertical position if you are splitting small dia wood and want small wood for wood stove. No good on large dia trees. Used mine one time, removed and haven't used it again.
If I was installing one I would make it removable.

I dont have a picture to post but there is probably one in a northern tool catalog or maybe on their website. I have the 4 ways for my NT splitter, but they dont work for $hit. They work better on splitters that have the wedge or knife mounted on the beam, not the ram. Giving the split pieces of wood a place to freely drop off the end of the splitter onto the ground. But what happens if the 4 ways are mounted on ram is the bottom pieces of wood which are laying on the I-beam get lodged between the I-beam and the 4 way wedge, as the ram travels along. The top pieces can break away and will be forced up as the ram moves forward. But the bottom splits have no place to drop because there is a constant pressure between the wedges and the beam, until the ram is fully retracted. It puts a lot of stress on the splitter. I used the wedges once and never again. If I had paid for them I would have returned for a refund.

The one I'm making is going to be a slip on so it can move up a bit if it has a lot of pressure.

The speeco wedge at least on mine, goes back between two posts, these help pull a stuck log off the ram/wedge. To fit a 4 way you would have to mount the "wings" either very narrow, fitting between the posts, or higher up over the posts, leaving you a 7" piece of wood when split. We were looking at this idea this weekend, and havent come up with a good solution yet. I see the nice shiny picture up there, but how does it fit when the ram is retracted? Good idea on the flat bottoms on the wings, I have seen others going both ways and you get a lot of jams when the ram tries to force the log into the bed. If I put one one I would like it not permanent, easy to take back off if I run into big stuff I want to split one way first.

Latest posts

Back