4 Way Wedge for 27ton Troy Bilt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K2Orion

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbors both have 27 ton splitters. One is a troybilt and the other is a yard machine. They are identical except for paint scheme and engine. ( The troy bilt is a honda, the yard machine is a briggs.) Both were bought at Lowes. They have been very generous and let me borrow them when I need them. I have been splitting the "nice" stuff (straight white and red oak under 18") with my fiskars. But I would do it all with their splitter if I had a 4way.

I can weld up my own. I have the tools and talent, and can get the material. But the owners of the splitters would prefer a sticker from a "real manufacturer" on a tool that has the potential for serious damage if it fails.

Is there a 4 way on the market made for these splitters? Will the Speeco fit?

Doesn't Northern Tool sell a 4-way wedge already made? I know they exist.

I believe those units are vert/horz, so the wedge is traveling into a fixed foot plate it is very easy to over stress the foot plate and beam due to the captivated stress just before the round starts to split.The larger the round extends over the top of the foot plate the higher the stress. As long as you do not own it I would not proceed on your plan. If you do the round should not exceed the stated round dia. in the owners manual likely 8-10".

Back