4-way wedge (splitter)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My FIL just delivered me a new Cub Cadet 27 ton splitter. I was wondering if any of you know where i can replace the existing splitting wedge with one of those neato, winged 4-way wedges.

To clarify... where can I buy one, and is 27 ton enough to handle a 4 way split.

Thanks Skidrow. They have an 8" and 12". Any reccommendation?

Is that a Cub Cadet model with the wedge on the ram ? If it is a 4-way wedge may not be available. 4-way wedges on the ram tend to cause problems with jamming according to feed back on this site.

Up til now, I've done all my splitting by hand, so I don't know exactly what you are asking, but I THINK it's on the ram. Where would it be if not on the ram ? Maybe some Cub owners can chime in. It's last years model... 27 ton, Honda Engine.

The wedge is on the ram of my 27 ton splitter. Really no way to convert to 4 way wedge. Splitters using a 4 way have the cylinder push a flat plate against a stationary wedge. Hope this is of some help.

After some of the aftermarket mods I've seen on this site, I'm thinking nothing is impossible. There has to be a way to convert the Cub wedge to a 4-way.

After some of the aftermarket mods I've seen on this site, I'm thinking nothing is impossible. There has to be a way to convert the Cub wedge to a 4-way.

It is very typical of most vert / horiz splitters. The wedge HAS to be on the ram to work in vertical mode. We looked into modifying out Northern and realized that we could do one of a few things.

#1 - cut base plate off; make push plate for ram; make new wedge and weld to beam (losing part of ram travel);

#2 - convert splitter to use newer Northern wedge system with wings (Northern won't guarentee that this will work);

#3 - build new splitter that does what we want.

We are opting for #3, starting sometime this summer.

You will get plenty production from your stock setup. I would suggest that you get used to that before you try to modify it.

My FIL just delivered me a new Cub Cadet 27 ton splitter. I was wondering if any of you know where i can replace the existing splitting wedge with one of those neato, winged 4-way wedges.

To clarify... where can I buy one, and is 27 ton enough to handle a 4 way split.

Dale since its brand new wait and see how it goes for you. I heat entirely with wood and only have a single wedge even though I could add a 4 way at any time.

Unless your selling alot of firewood and splitting many, many cords it really isnt that slow of a process. Especially if ya like splitting wood.

if anyones looking into the slip on 4 ways you gotta make sure they bolt on. i had a slip on one once, it was a little sloppy. what would happen is when the log pushed up against the wedge it would cock to the side making logs impossible to split.

on a side note i sent it back when the motor seized. kinda funny i bought a splitter with a honda motor so i wouldnt have any problems. i put the oil in fired her up she ran about a minute then seized right up!! i was pretty pissed to say the least. anyway the company paid shipping for the motor to go back and for the new one to come to me. motor musta been built on a friday at 4:30. the new ones been great. Mike

Northern sells a couple of 4-ways that go on the ram.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_28657_28657

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326298_200326298

27 tons enough? Depends on the wood, I'd say. I don't think you'd get very far with some of my big oak rounds with a 4-way, especially the crotches. :D

Northern says 30 tons is minimum. *shrug*

It'd be nice to have a 4 way that would slip over the regular wedge with just a pin. Take it off for the big stuff.

Last edited:

Mark - if you follow up on the model numbers that the top link fits, they are horizontal only splitters with a plate on the ram and a stationary wedge on the beam. The lower link is for wings that only bolt onto northern's movable wedge. However, the moveable wedge assembly doesn't work as a retrofit on most splitter. It will only fit on a ram that has no yoke on the end of it. It is pinned through the shaft. That was my option #2 that I mentioned. It is more of an undertaking than it is worth. We have looked into it several times.

OK... looks to be more of a pain in the rear than what it's worth. I'll stick with what I got stock. Thanks all for the replies.

What fun wouild that be? :dizzy:

:greenchainsaw:

To be quite honest... there's a reason I suggest that! My partner ordered the 4 way wings for his Northern splitter without checking for compatibility. He asked the salesman if it would fit. Of course... he said it would. When it came in, I just stared at my partner like he was an idiot. They ONLY fit a few models.... their new ones and a very few of the older (more than 2 years) ones.

Back