4-way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlkdvm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a home made splitter a few months ago. It looks like the builder originally intended to have a hydraulically raised and lowered wedge but changed his mind. There is an open space and a mount for the bottom of a hydraulic cylinder. The existing wedge is almost 6 inches wide. I was thinking about replacing the wedge with a much thinner wedge, with a front and a back section like a Built Rite wedge. The horizontal wedge would encircle the rear part and have a tab on the back to connect to the top of the cylinder. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could accomplish the same thing without replacing the existing wedge?

Wedge1.jpg

Wedge2.jpg

look at the design of the timberwolf 4 way It slips over the existing wedge and can be used manual or on a hydraulic cylinder

you could get a piece fab'd to fit the backside of the existing wedge and weld it directly to the rear, but then you wouldn't be able to remove. otherwise, make a slip over version as previously mentioned.

It would definitely be easier for me to keep the existing wedge but I am concerned that the back end of the wedge might be excessively wide if I did that. I think it would be close to 9 inches wide. If the consensus is that 9 inches is not too wide for the slip over wedge then that is the way I will go.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures. You really need to see it up close to appreciate how good of a welder the builder is. A few of the specs - B&S 16 hp engine, 5" x 30" Prince cylinder, 28 gpm Haldex pump, 30 gal oil tank, Parker hoses. The splitter has a spring suspension and tows well at interstate speeds. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it is very heavy. An ATV can move it but just barely.

Bvk5t4gBWkKGrHqQOKiQEvz4IcmcBMFOceyzQ_3.jpg

Bvk5TtQmkKGrHqEOKi0EwOrtnLZEBMFObtthg_3.jpg

Bvk6SKBWkKGrHqIOKiwEwPj6otpsBMFOd9lMw_3.jpg

Bvk6iSw2kKGrHqQOKkIEwQB5rLUMBMFOenYNTg_3.jpg

Bvk58kCGkKGrHqUOKiUEwSBdNPwBMFOdEu2g_3.jpg

Whatcha have to give for that rig??
I built a splitter very similar to it a couple years ago and just in material I have about $2200.00 in it!!
I sold the house last year and don't burn wood now and the thought of selling the splitter hasn't crossed my mind!!
I put a lot of hours into it!!

Really nice!! I love the full suspension on the axle.

Slip on 4 way should be OK. Just make sure that the vertical split is ahead of the 4 way wings.

Super nice!! That motor (Vanguard?) looks like a mini V-8.

Back