4 way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethsfirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have a 26 ton Huskee log splitter with a simple wedge attached. I was thinking of purchasing a 4 way wedge as a Christmas present to myself, but didn't know if it was really worth getting it?

I was thinking it could become a hassle with it getting wedged inside larger logs, splitting smaller logs into too small of pieces, etc.

Anyone have any feedback regarding a 4-way versus a 2-way wedge for their log splitter?

I made a slip on 4-way for mine. I rarely use it. First, it's a bugger to use when working by yourself, which is what I do. Hard to keep up. My splitter has a table on both sides so the pieces don't fall to the ground, but tossing them outta there and getting another round on the splitter before the ram retracts farther back than needed is pretty hard to do. Second, the 4-way only works on perfect size rounds. Otherwise you still have to split them again.

My knife is 12 inches tall and the 4-way is centered. Might be even more work on a smaller knife. Push plate is on the ram.
Never had any issues with getting it wedged inside of a piece. Just retract and put another one in there.

Seems easier for me to just split, double the two pieces back up and split again.
your mileage may vary.

Ted

Don't know the set up for your splitter but I have an Iron and Oak with a 4 way wedge. It just slips on and off. No hassle, no bolts, literally just drop on and lift off. After using a 4 way, I would never go back to a splitter that didn't have one.

My first splitter had the wedge on the ram. I bought and installed a wedge and wings from northern tool. It was ok. Then I bought my tw6. Aside from the major upgrade in hardware, the adjustable 4 or 6 way made the biggest jump in production. I have the 4 way on 99% of the time.

A slip on 4-way is nice. I got one when we bought our splitter. It does save time when the rounds aren't too knotty.

Well, obviously they can work on hydraulics..I just want a splitting maul with a four way, and a hand wedge with a four way (or three way like an even y shape)

Never seen one, like to try either if they existed. I think that would be the berries for small rounds, one whack, 3-4 splits!

as already stated, be sure to get a slip on. The four way is nice for big stuff that's not knotty, but it's such a pain at other times. Personally I don't much care for the four way. It usually stays on the ground.

A friend of mine owns a welding shop outside of Philly and we made one up the Saturday before last. It just slips on and really speeds up my splitting time. My splitter is a small Ramsplitter with the plate mounted of the ram.

My buddy and I have a husky 34 ton splitter and he found a four way slip on wedge at the local tractor supply company store a couple months ago. It does a nice job. We split alot of oak, hickory and elm. While the elm can tend to be stringy and sometimes may cause some binding with the wedge, it splits the oak and hickory just fine. Used it on some hackberry the other day without any problems. I did do a little welding on it to strengthen it up a little, but all in all it's been a nice little addition. Up next, a table off one side of the beam.

If you fab one yourself off set the position of the horizontal knife so you can flip it either way to do larger or smaller rounds.

Last edited:
If you fab one yourself off set the position of the horizontal knife so you can flip it either way to do larger or smaller rounds.

===

This sounds like a good idea, not sure how well it might work as it will put the angle on the cutting edge of the wing upside down and may cause a binding problem....

That's a good idea.

===

This sounds like a good idea, not sure how well it might work as it will put the angle on the cutting edge of the wing upside down and may cause a binding problem....

Wish I could take credit for it but can't, thats how Timberwolf makes their 4-way slip on wedges. One of these days I'll actually post a pic on this site.

Last edited:
Well, obviously they can work on hydraulics..I just want a splitting maul with a four way, and a hand wedge with a four way (or three way like an even y shape)

Never seen one, like to try either if they existed. I think that would be the berries for small rounds, one whack, 3-4 splits!

Your post got me thinking of where I seen something like that, check out this ebay auction from a little while back. First time I've seen something like that!

Log Splitter 3 Way Wedge | eBay

i have single wedge on bottom ram that goes through every thing i can find

i have 4 way wedge on top ram that i welded on for good.

Splitter%2B006.jpg

20130222_141042_resized.jpg

20130222_141037_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back