4 way wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Some friends of mine purchased a couple of Troy Built? log splitters that are horizontal / vertical. I've run the typical horizontal splitters before where you've got your plate on the ram, and then the wedge at the end, so you could get a slip on 4 way if you wanted to. I'm wondering if there is a company out there that makes 4 way add ons for the machines that have the wedge on the ram?

northern tools makes a slip on four way for their splitters.

four ways in vertical mode can be dangerous on ram mounted wedges! pieces of wood could come flying at YOU. it's normal to operate splitter directly in front of ram. single wedge drives wood at 90 degrees to where you stand in vertical mode.

four way in horizontal mode is completely different in that you are standing away from the wood.

Last edited:
The four way wedge from NT will NOT fit your Troybilt splitter.
The wedge that it is designed for is much narrower, the wedge on the Troybilt is quite wide, and quickly gets wider as it goes back towards the cylinder.
However, it doesnt take a lot to modify it, I modified mine with a torch and welding machine.
Cut the welds that hold the wedge together, spread it apart to match the profile of the wedge, and weld it back together.
Next, you will note that the strap that goes around the wedge to hold it on is too short.cut it off, weld another piece in its place that is longer and you are set.
Took me about an hour to modify mine, and works like a champ.

I was considering a 4 way wedge for my splitter. However, I am usure how it would work, since some wood is smaller, and some 30 inch diameter.

I have a speeco 22 ton..

Any thoughts?

watch out... there's already feedback from folks getting wacked by flying wood. standing in front of wedge in vertical mode.

horizontal mode is no problems because you are not standing in line of fire.

The four way wedge from NT will NOT fit your Troybilt splitter.
The wedge that it is designed for is much narrower, the wedge on the Troybilt is quite wide, and quickly gets wider as it goes back towards the cylinder.
However, it doesnt take a lot to modify it, I modified mine with a torch and welding machine.
Cut the welds that hold the wedge together, spread it apart to match the profile of the wedge, and weld it back together.
Next, you will note that the strap that goes around the wedge to hold it on is too short.cut it off, weld another piece in its place that is longer and you are set.
Took me about an hour to modify mine, and works like a champ.

Back