40 = 29 = 25? How do you make money doing this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought two twenty cord truck loads of logs. Here is what I got, and more importantly, how I did the math.
-The logs were 8' to 8'-6", about 50% of the logs were 8'-6". That means the splits are cut 16-17" long.
-I built racks that are 4'h x 8'l that hold 1/3 cord. Lots of racks.
-The wood is stacked 2" to 4" proud, or high, and some of the racks when full spread 3", to 8'-3" at the top.
-I est. a one half cord of junk splits, short cut offs, etc., maybe more to be fair. Call it 1 cord.
-When done, I have 75 full racks.
-I have 25 cord to sell, but how much wood did I get?
Math.
-If 50% is 1" long that's [32 sq. ft per rack x 1" (.o833') x 37.5 racks / 128 cu. ft. per cord = .78 cord.
-Then, the 3" spread of the racks = 1.5" (0.125') for the full 4' height x 16.5" length ( 1.375' averaged) x 75 racks / 128 cu. ft. per cord = 0.81 cords.
-Then, the 4" (.33') on top x 4'- 3" (4.25') x 16 1/2" (1.375') x 75 racks/128 cu. ft per cord = 1.13 cords.
Total: 25 cord + .78 cord + .81 cord + 1.13 cord + 1 cord junk = 28.72 cord
round up: 29 cord delivered.
-each cord then is 1.12 cords stacked + the one cord of junk.
Have not talked to the supplier as yet but I think I'll be looking for a new one....!
But what is a realistic expectation?
The first 20 cord stacked out to 43 one third cord racks.
The second load stacked out to 32 one third cord racks. Huge, huge difference!

View attachment 202716View attachment 202717View attachment 202718View attachment 202719View attachment 202720

I have yet to see a truck that can haul 20 full cords of logs. I am not saying that it doesnt exist. I also dont know the weight restriction regualtions in your state. If it is your first time dealing with a new supplier you could measure the loaded truck. You could also weigh it if you know the moisture content of the logs. Probably the best thing to do is have him run a load with you riding along to the nearest mill and have the people at the mill measure a load with you there. I am sure they know exactly what is on each truck. Good Luck

I don't quite understand your math. Having said that if the guy sold you a 20 cord load, you should get ROUGHLY 20 cords of cut and split
firewood (plus or minus a cord or two). Around here most loggers sell 6-7cord loads or 12-14 cord loads if towing a pup. Unusable wood should
not count in the total. Trust me, these guys know whether or not they are giving you a decent load. I stick with the guys who consistently bring
me good loads. If you got substantially less wood than you paid for you should complain.

Me, I belive I would be pretty ANGRY and demand the other truckload of wood you are owed, or I would be putting a stop on a check right quick.

You got hosed out of about 25% of what you are owed. After they settle up, I would blacklist them and advertise for them well.

Guys like that set me on fire.

Sandhill,

Who did you find to deliver log loads? Most of the outfits wont bother coming this far out due to fuel surcharges jacking the cost.

Looking at your math, it does sound like ya got a light load, and you might want to call 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

When I have bought cull logs for fire wood I have always bought it by the the load.

The loggers and I have been happy!!!!

Negotiate a fair price for you and the hauler.

Choo choo train?

20 cords on a tractor trailer seems like a LOT of wood, a huge amount. I'd question that right off the bat.

Can't see your pics for some reason, but if you have them to send to the trucker via email or text or something, along with your measurements..give the man a chance to do right by you first before going off medieval on him.

20 cords of fresh cut green red oak @ 4886 lbs per cord is 97,720 lbs. (adjust for species, this is just for oak...) So that would have been a rather well stacked hugemongous trailer. I guess where you are that is still a legal load, so at least theoretically this could have happened, so you should see that much in your racks and cull stack. If you don't, then you got shorted.

Call 'em up, send some pics, see what happens. I think it is always a good idea to give guys a fair chance to make a deal go good, no matter the deal.

The 20 cord loads I have been exposed to work out to be +/-17 cord, call it 50 of your "stacks".

BTW, your attahments are coming up invalid.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a truck that can haul 20 full cords of logs. I am not saying that it doesnt exist. I also dont know the weight restriction regualtions in your state.

In Michigan, they CAN run 20 cord loads. They have some huge weight allowances... Whether he actually got the 20 cords is another thing, but 20 cord trucks are possible.

What does the delivery ticket show?

Ex.

Truck...bunk 1...5.2'High
...................2...5.3'
...................3...5.9'
...................4...5.5'

sum................21.90

Average..........21.90/4 = 5.48'high

Volume...........5.48'high x 8' log length = 43.84 x 16.5'(length of truck bed) = 723.36 / 128cubic feet = 5.65 cords.

This is what it shows on log truck tickets at time of delivery.

It is verifiable.

One thing to note though, a four foot tall rack containing split wood can shrink 4-6" in a years time, so a log load just keeps shrinking when you consider; moisture loss, kerf loss, shorts, uglies, hidden rot, crooked logs, too many small diameter logs. It all adds up to losses before you've sold one stick of wood.

10 cord on a truck may well equal 8.5 cord when you are done.

In Michigan, they CAN run 20 cord loads. They have some huge weight allowances... Whether he actually got the 20 cords is another thing, but 20 cord trucks are possible.

Thats why I said that I am not saying they dont exist.

Around here you get 6 to 7 cord log length on a straight log truck or 10-12 on a tractor trailer with loader. Hand split, your loss in saw chips and splinters should be minimal. Processer loss can be as high as 1 cord junk for 5 good cords. It does not really matter how much you get on a truck, it only matters what you paid for it. How much did each 20 cord load cost you??

I'm not posting the name of the company because I've not talked with them yet. Cost was $70. cord + $700. delivery. $2100. total for 20 cords. Delivery could have easily been 300 miles or more round trip, although I really do not know where they were cutting at the time. The truck was eleven axles with a grapple; one steer, five rear, and a five axle pup.

Around here $70 a cord, log length is cheap. If you can find it, $90 to $100 is more the norm. I have seen it as high as $140. If you can get them to waive that delivery fee, it might work out. Now getting log length wood around my area is not easy. Few folks are cutting and there are a lot of folks processing and selling firewood. If they are the only game in town…

I have some friend buying 10 cord loads from a company by whitecloud. They brought him out 90% ash from a differant county. It did not look like 10 cords, More like 7-8 maybe. One of them paid Me to cut it into blocks. It didn't seem to take that long. The ash seemed the eat my chain amay slowly. Total for the ( 10 cord load ) $750 plus $200 for cutting minus 2 cords atleast = like 120 per cord. Thats What I normally sell boiler wood for So what the point.........IDK

How do logger get away with transporting ash when I cant?

I have some friend buying 10 cord loads from a company by whitecloud. They brought him out 90% ash from a differant county. It did not look like 10 cords, More like 7-8 maybe. One of them paid Me to cut it into blocks. It didn't seem to take that long. The ash seemed the eat my chain amay slowly. Total for the ( 10 cord load ) $750 plus $200 for cutting minus 2 cords atleast = like 120 per cord. Thats What I normally sell boiler wood for So what the point.........IDK

How do logger get away with transporting ash when I cant?

You can, so long as you don't leave the lower peninsula.

I thought it was county by county. Where are the regs on transporting wood?

Easy explanation
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/FINAL_EAB_Quar_Rev_talking_points_2_7_11_345487_7.pdf

Actual Law:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_EAB_Quarantine_WhereAs_111851_7.pdf

I had to look them up because I live on the border between Ohio and Michigan. If you want to move firewood between states, it requires a federal USDA permit. It's not hard to get one if you are just using it for personal use in level 1 areas, but there is some paperwork involved... Commercial ops are a whole nother ballgame though.

Last edited:
I am going to have to start buying wood this way as well because of the growth of our business. What kind of price should I look to pay for a full tri ak load of low grade hardwoods? We are in the state of WV. I have heard anywhere from $300-500.

I have a guy that brings me log loads. He charges me $450 for around 3k board feet. He brings me nice stuff anywhere from 6" to 12=14". It's all oak hickory and a hard maple here or there. This is the same price the mill pays for pallet lumber.

Scott

Back