40' red oak trunk worth any $ to loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to say, setting here looking at that picture, that as much as some people complain about processing big diameter stuff, after doing mostly 12" dia and smaller stuff on fence rows for the last month and a half, picked out from hanging bittersweet and rose bushes, that I'd love to have that much firewood all in one place for a change.

I don't mind the work, I think it's cool seein' how many splits come from just a single one of those rounds.

Color me green.

I don't mind the work, I think it's cool seein' how many splits come from just a single one of those rounds.

Color me green.

It's not bad if you have someone or something to get it on the splitter. If you're hand splitting, you still have to move the rounds. :msp_smile:

It's not bad if you have someone or something to get it on the splitter. If you're hand splitting, you still have to move the rounds. :msp_smile:

Yeah, I usually quarter or sixth big rounds like that by hand before putting them on the splitter. Or depending on size, I'll roll em into the tractor bucket and dump 'em on the wagon, then roll from the wagon to the splitter. It's good to have a system. No sense throwin your back out; then you can make any firewood!

I'd just like to say, setting here looking at that picture, that as much as some people complain about processing big diameter stuff, after doing mostly 12" dia and smaller stuff on fence rows for the last month and a half, picked out from hanging bittersweet and rose bushes, that I'd love to have that much firewood all in one place for a change.

Color me green.

Oh heck ya. when you get real big nice rounds likke that, man, the splits add up! I was doing some last year, getting two to three wheelbarrow fulls per round (not super heaped up, just full), and they werent 40 inches, more like 36 inch diameter. And the splitting is just so easy, just walk around the round. When I get big ones like that, I just flop them over a shorter round then have at it.

How about two 80-90 ft red oaks? They have to be 7 ft across at chest height. Thinking about taking the job and giving away most of the wood. I can do it in big chunks if somebody is interested in them to mill up. I DO NOT want to load, deal with or even consider bucking and splitting the trunks. I'm not taking a machine up to the job and hour or so north of me. I don't currently have a running chainsaw mill big enough or the means to load the beasts. They are limb free and straight for the first 40ft where the taper is near 40"-45". Do your math on them lol. Oh btw they have around hundred limbs in their canopies about 70ft wide. Very health trees!

These trees are no joke. How old do you think they are? 15-20 cords maybe? Thousands of board feet.

Last edited:
How about two 80-90 ft red oaks? They have to be 7 ft across at chest height. Thinking about taking the job and giving away most of the wood. I can do it in big chunks if somebody is interested in them to mill up. I DO NOT want to load, deal with or even consider bucking and splitting the trunks. I'm not taking a machine up to the job and hour or so north of me. I don't currently have a running chainsaw mill big enough or the means to load the beasts. They are limb free and straight for the first 40ft where the taper is near 40"-45". Do your math on them lol. Oh btw they have around hundred limbs in their canopies about 70ft wide. Very health trees!

These trees are no joke. How old do you think they are? 15-20 cords maybe? Thousands of board feet.

Why would anyone want them cut ? likely they were there in the civil war era!

Why would anyone want them cut ? likely they were there in the civil war era!

Yes I'll bet they were. They are in a small back yard and I think the owners and the neighbors are scared of them lol. At any rate they will be the biggest pair I have ever tackled. I have done 5ft at chest height trees before.

I think I know where the biggest red oak in SNJ is at. She was last measured at 27ft around the base and 6+ ft wide chest height on the high side. This tree stands at least a hundred feet tall or more. That was ten years ago. That one is not going anywhere. The owners love it and so do the Eagles. A very good looking nesting pair is always there for the sunsets over the creek.

Naked Arborist,

I've taken down 5' trees before, in total 2 over 5'.
1 oak and 1 sugar maple.
Both made for lots and lots of sawing with a 36" bar and fun interesting fell cuts.
Much wood from each though.

Not even sure i would be able to tackle something at 7' with my equiptment.
Never seen something that big, 6' is about max i've seen even in the untouched woods in ontario.

Actually thinking about it i remember seeing a 7' beech in a front property that was maybe 20' x 30'.
The gigantic thing on such a small property looked rather odd. LOL

Yes I'll bet they were. They are in a small back yard and I think the owners and the neighbors are scared of them lol. At any rate they will be the biggest pair I have ever tackled. I have done 5ft at chest height trees before.

I think I know where the biggest red oak in SNJ is at. She was last measured at 27ft around the base and 6+ ft wide chest height on the high side. This tree stands at least a hundred feet tall or more. That was ten years ago. That one is not going anywhere. The owners love it and so do the Eagles. A very good looking nesting pair is always there for the sunsets over the creek.

Where is this monster red oak?

Probably to put in a WalMart.

:mad: So many trees like that were cut here to put this stinkin' Wally Whirld in that I was sick for months. I mean red oaks wider than my 1/2 ton Chebbie. Cryin' damn shame. :cry: Only consolation, is the man that owned the land let me cut the tops up for firewood. That lasted a few months. I never new just how much wood was in those tops till I started cutting and processing.

BigDaddyR, what is the actual diameter of that 40' log you got there? Did I miss the actual measurement. I see 48" a couple places in this thread.
My biggest one to date was right at 40". I got a little over a cord out of a 12' log that tapered down to around 36". White oak log.

chainsaws091Large.jpg

chainsaws093Large.jpg

chainsaws094Large.jpg

this is two rounds off the 40" end split and stacked for photo purpose

chainsaws096Large.jpg

Don't have the exact measurements yet but probably this weekend. Maybe Sunday.

Saturday I have to get loaded and haul the last big oak trunk from the farm. Maybe I'll try splitting it first. We'll see. Either way its probably 8 to running 5-10 min late pick up truck loads. It's good to be me right now. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Am I missing something is these posting?

Granted, the log would be nice to make some timbrs for a few hay racks or what ever and in the past, I sold a few like that for stringers for under fish houses. We even sold our logs to the mill when they cut them for railroad ties. What I find hard to believe is how can a person have enough firewood? :confused:

Having enough firewood is like having too many chainsaws. :msp_ohmy:

You get a huge branch from one of those guys come in the living room with you,like we did, aint no LOLing about it.

Big trees are real nice and pretty and nice to think about the history around them, but you cant negate the danger to them when they are near structures. The one that got us was 4 feet diameter with the branch that came down in the tornado around, IIRC, 18 inches, and the larger tree still intact in the yard, but now severaly pruned, is right at 5 foot diameter. Those are oaks, the big pine in the back yard is now gone, trunk on that guy was around 40 inches.

Back