40+ year old Oak Trees with suckers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alyce Dawson

Reaction score
My arborist recommended that we get our Oak trees trimmed. We have some new growth on the trunks that he says is dangerous to the tree and will prevent water and nutrients from reaching the canopy. Is that something that needs to be done. Can I prune those off myself? Do I only have to worry about those on the trunks, which I can reach with one of those extended pruning shear things (technical term), or do I need to have the suckers pruned at the top of the tree too? Are they suckers if they are in the crown, or just new growth?

I don't want to injure my trees by trimming what doesn't need to be trimmed or by not trimming what does need trimmed.

Sounds like you need a new arborist...

How big is the tree? Suckers don't just pop up on oaks, they are a response to something stressful. What is that cause of stress?

Suckers on the trunk aren't going to hurt the tree. They make it unsightly and they are poorly attached branches so I'm not saying they are desirable.

Can you post pictures?

Pictures of trees are attached - they are tall - taller than our two story house with attic.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    865.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    941.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Thanks! Our neighbor removed two similarly aged trees, so yes, they are getting much more sun now. Our hickory shot up two feet this year once the neighbor took their trees down (not sure why - they were gorgeous).

Back