400 Lights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
By my estimates, I'm closing in on 400 fires started this winter, either from scratch or a warm restart.
Twice a day for 6 1/2 months. Waiting for a day when I don't have to burn something. Long winter.(Insert "crybaby" emoticon here).
In August I'll be waiting for the day when I can fire up the stove again, but it's gettin' old right now. I'm almost out of newspaper :biggrin:.

I've lit one ;) I have a OWB so I know I use a lot more wood than you as they are not as economical wood wise but won't go back. Do you mind saying how much you used this year? Area heated? I'm heating 36' x 50' 2 story farm house with full basement, attached 36' x 50' garage with radiant floor and all my hot water. close to 12 cord for me this year so far. grew up with an in house and i like the change from that.

That's what great about this site. You see all different kinds of ways to do things and get the pluses and minuses.

I have lit o about 6 or 7 fires this winter. Let it go out a few times when it got too warm. It runs 24/7 most all winter. Have used a little over 4 1/2 cords so far. I heat with 98% wood heat. Heat pump might run just a little in the spring and fall, very little. I heat a 2000 sq ft well insulated rancher with a free standing wood stove in the den.

800 SF house with a stove. Well insulated and pretty tightly sealed.
I fire it up early in the morning and leave at 7:30 or so and don't get back 'til about 6:00. Warm restart and it's mid 70's at bed-time.
Mid 60's in the AM and do it again.
I guess a pellet stove with a hopper and thermostat would have been a better option. But I have the timber and the saws. :msp_thumbup:
A 24/7 burn would blow me right out of the place. Twice-a-day lights is how I make it work. Coming up on 400 and waiting for summer.

By my estimates, I'm closing in on 400 fires started this winter, either from scratch or a warm restart.
Twice a day for 6 1/2 months. Waiting for a day when I don't have to burn something. Long winter.(Insert "crybaby" emoticon here).
In August I'll be waiting for the day when I can fire up the stove again, but it's gettin' old right now. I'm almost out of newspaper :biggrin:.

I lit 1 time since oct 1. OWB,Burned 4- 20 foot wagon loads, just thrown on, don't know cords, 3000 sq ft 2 story/full basement and 2 water heaters. Keep temp on 72. Wouldn't have anything else. Love it. Had 2 heat pumps. Haven't run all winter!!!

Vermont Castings in the kitchen. Every 7-8 days we let it go out to do a good clean out. We do a hot "quickie" every 3-4 days so we can dump the ash tray, pushing the hot coals to one side and sweeping the ash through the grate, then just adding some starter on top to refire. Unless it really gets warm outside we just keep a low fire going all the time to keep the chill off.

I have an OWB heating 2 houses one 1200 sq/ft, the other 3500 sq/ft. I've used about 12 cords so far keeping both houses 71-73 degrees. Tried the freestanding stove, then the add on furnace and finally took the OWB plunge and will never look back.

Lit one back in October, agree with Kevin nice to see the differences of all and I have heated with all. I also wouldn't do it any other way now than OWB...heating 3800sq ft and DHW, at 8 cords for the winter.

only 1 lite,1st week of September,but I've had enough for this year,come on warm weather!!!!.By the way I have an IWB,an old Riteway RB-75...

I have no idea how many lite ups i have done this season.

with a couple of the ladys I build a fire nearly every day. The others I do a shutdown and clean out once a week. Clean all 6 chimneys once a month. My 'ol lady would be jealous of the time I spend building fires in other houses if they weren't all HER buddies.

Here I thought I was the only one who had to light a new fire every day. I know your pain! To be honest, I havent lit a fire since I left on vacation Mar 18th. And I'm leaving again on Apr 5th. The LP cycles on a few times during the night but I turn it off during the day and let the sun do its job.

Back