42 TON Splitter - what do you think it's worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr-enuf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a really well built home made 42 ton log splitter that I was thinking of selling, looking to get an idea what you think it is worth.
- 6" ram, recently installed new seals
- 18 hp briggs engine, electric start
- dual (tandem)16 gpm pumps. One for ram and other for log lift. I called to ask the replacement cost on the pumps, QCC (webster) $1400
- 11" I beam
- 6 way fixed splitting end (ram is a pusher)
- torsion axle
- Aluminum diamond plate fuel tank (10 gallons)
- Two control valves - one for ram with auto kickout and 1 for log lift
- rugged BFG tires
- Power Power Power. I can split elm in 6+ pieces at a time. This has a boat load of force / power.

Very well fabricated unit - previous guy took alot of time and craftsmanship to build this, not a slapped together unit.

Curious what you guys think it would / should fetch.

Sounds like a piece of junk to me. Why dont you bring it down to my place and let me take if off your hands. ;)

Just for comparison, my splitter has a 5in ram, 25hp Kholer, 22gpm 2 stage pump, and hydraulic adjustable 6 way blade. I wouldnt take $3000 for it. Dont know if anybody would give $3grand for it, it just depends on the right buyer.

Yes pics would help. If it is as nice as you say, I am thinking 6K or more (not sure). I priced some Timberwolf splitters with 4-way and log lift: TW-2HD--$5970, TW-5--$8165, TW-6--$10165. Your splitter seems to be more in line with the TW-6. I thing a fixed 6-way may hurt it.

It needs paint - I will try to upload a pic.
My plan is to put it up for sale in a couple of months

Thanks everyone - I was thinking north of $2500

Hello everyone, below is a couple of pictures of "The beast from the east" which I think I will be selling. Do you have any suggestions of colors to paint it? Looking for suggestions - I was thinking moving pieces to be red (log lift - not shown) and the pusher also not shown to be red. Maybe the knives / splitters to be bright orange for visibility and the rest of the machine to be a like gray / silver with some candy flake in the paint. I will squirt it with valspar tractor implment paint which I have had really good results with.

If you have paint suggestions, let's hear them.

Photos will have to wait until tonight - work doesnt let me access Tiny pic

ya, looks stout for sure.

I'm too color blind and southern fried for paint. If I paint anything it's cammie! hahahah

I would think you could knock out a few grand worth of wood with it, sell the wood, and get to keep it!

26a06081fc5f65966be1e454516c9870.jpg

Here is my "Lil Dude" log splitter in red and charcoal. I like red, and I had the paint already. Your splitter looks rugged!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a build pic? Looks like it has never been run in the picsm and not complete. Kinda confused here. 16 GPM pump would be really slow, what is your cycle time. The fixed, 6 wedge would be a big minus to me. Not something I would want. I would much prefer the option of a single.

No this is not a build, I puchased the splitter from the fabricator that made the unit. It was actually designed / made to crush semi rims in order to get the rims separated from the tires, you crush in once, spin the rim 90 degrees and crush again. The rim then falls right out in order to get top $$ from a scrap yard. I don't know the mtl of the semi rim but I am told it is much better than regular scrap steel.

I have the engine, fuel tank, log lift & cylinder, control valves removeds since I want to paint the unit. I probably went too far to give it a nice paint job but that is my nature - way too anal.

Regarding the fixed 6 way, i understand everyone's point but i actually works really good since smaller diameter simply are split in half while big pieces are split in to the sizes that I use in my fire place. yes, one in a while you will end up with a smaller piece as a result of the fixed wings but this is good for me since I use it for my fire restart in the mornig. Once mid October comes around, my fireplace never stops burning. Still burning today even though we have upper 40's / low 50's for high temps.

I think I will shoot it a grey / charcoal color - paint red the moving parts.

Independent pumps for the splitter and lift doesn't really make any sense. You'd be better off with a single 2 stage pump for ~$200; plumbed properly. Don't expect buyers to pay extra for a poor design. $2500 would be on the high side IMHO.

Might look different when fully assembled, but I cant see a $2500 price tag the way it sets. Not sure on the wedge design either. Look like the bottom wing is sharpened on the top side, which it would seem to me to suggest the splits might get squeezed between the top and bottom wings.

For the person that stated independent pumps, I don't know what you mean. I have a 16 gpm fixed pump - cycle time is not bad. I can do a face cord in less than 45 mins. More important to have it located near wood so I can spin around and grab another log.

Goal is to have it squirted by Sunday - reassembled by the following weekend

Beefy is an understatement - I do like the working height - not having to bend over and the extra height allows a lot of splitting (face cord) before you have to move the unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back