440 / 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have one of each of these saws and both of them have broken pins that hold the brake handle to the case. First of all, is this a common problem for these models and how do I go about fixing them? It looks as though you can just drive out the pin and put another one back in but I'd rather ask first, just to be sure.

Since you have two broken I'd ask do you apply the brake a lot and do it sharply. Maybe a change in operation style is a possibility. I hardly ever use the brake so mine don't wear much but have repaired dozens of mt pins, I won't sell a saw with a broken brake. Good Luck with your repair. Ken

Had a 044 for a while, i think i liked it more than the 046 i have. One had to go, i kept the 046 because its mint and the 044 was pretty beat up.

Since you have two broken I'd ask do you apply the brake a lot and do it sharply. Maybe a change in operation style is a possibility. I hardly ever use the brake so mine don't wear much but have repaired dozens of mt pins, I won't sell a saw with a broken brake. Good Luck with your repair. Ken
Both saws came out of our back room and are non runners and I think its been a LONG time since they ran. I hardly ever use the brake also but we do have one guy that loves to slap it on after finishing a cut and while the saws rpm's are still way up. I gave up trying to get him to stop doing that, I just try not to put a saw in his hands too often.

I has sort of gleaned that from reading around here the 28 MAGNUM is very popular , which are your top three would the 090,s be in there

Ment 38 olson its early morning just before 6 am I but up a couple of hours eyes aren't good make alodda type os yeah , Ive a 38 mag Ive had for 25 years cut fire wood for thee of my families house holds all that time Stihl strong great olsaw

Got two 064 one goin waiting on parts for the other one an 044 awaiting parts complete rebuild 076 to rebuild , o38 mag going ms 310 rippin it up ms250 nice we saw ms180 handy 015L goin paulan delux somthin or other pain in the arse we lil thing I just poke about , fire wood and cleanin up for folks , plus shoe a few horses and sell grog at the bottle O now n then pull a few beers at the golf club now n then , lifes good yeah

Back