440/046/066 which one to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
Ok on CL I found a guy selling an 440 for $400, a 046 for $500, and a 066 for $600.
I currently have a 362 and a husky281. The 281 has turned into project after it fell off the back of my truck one wood cutting day and smashed the rear handle. But I've been looking for a bigger saw to compliment my 362. What do you think is the better deal. I haven't seen picture of the saws as there about an hour drive away and I called the owner and he is a tree service owner.

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

Depends on your wood. Your 362 should be cutting up to some pretty dang decent sized trees.Do you need much larger? I don't have one but you read so much about the 440s being one of the best saws ever made and stuff. That's one step up from the 362.

If you have a need to be routinely into 30 inch + trees, then the 066 I guess.

Depends on whether you get your husky up and running and how big of wood you cut, but at those prices you could get one from a member of AS on the classifieds and be more sure of what your getting.

Out of those the 440 is probably the only one close to a deal. The 046 and 066 are a little high to me not knowing the condition and if they've been rebuilt or not.

I don't foresee me getting into wood bigger than 30 in and was going for the 440 but wanted your opinion

You get the 440 the 362 probably won't get as much use.

I never thought I'd need a bigger saw than my 7900 with a 28" bar, but I could really use a 390-395 with a 36". Been getting into some big wood lately. If they are from a tree service and he's still in business there's a reason he's getting rid of them. Jmo.

I never thought I'd need a bigger saw than my 7900 with a 28" bar, but I could really use a 390-395 with a 36". Been getting into some big wood lately. If they are from a tree service and he's still in business there's a reason he's getting rid of them. Jmo.

Bingo. They're either worn out or he bought new ones for a tax write off and selling them off to get his money back.

390 would not be any gain over the 7900( I have a 32" on one of my 7900's), 395 perhaps as it is a 94 cc saw, but what do i know I,m just a Dolmar guy. There is a 075 Stilh hanging out with the Dolmar crowd out in my shop area.

A 390 has a lot more oiling capacity over the 7900. Not a big power increase stock.

I love my 7900 and it oils my 28" bar just fine, but I'm with Mdavlee on its oiling capacity. I don't k ow how to quote posts, but I remember snelling saying the 395 is a boat anchor. He used to have one and got rid of it for a 390. I trust his opion snd that's why I would get a 390 over a 395.:chainsaw:

I run an 046 with a 28" bar works great for me! I also has a ms361 and 026 for smaller stuff. If you want a big saw check the for sale thread there's a 066 there for $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solution get all three, keep what you like, resell other(s), ( ya, I know, there is always that nagging funding problem) See, that's just the nasty CAD in me breaking out again. Must resisit, must resist................

Well I think I'm not going to jump on it. Thinking I have that 281 that's needs a lil work and can be just as good for less money. I already have a 288 NWP jug for it. Maybe I'll get it sent to mastermind and have him do a woods port on it right away. Anyone got any idea what he charges for something like that.

I would buy the 440 if it is in good shape. 044/440 are great saws. My 361s are my go to saws, but I run my 441 (and used to run my 044) in bigger stuff for faster cutting. The 046 is pretty high in vibes, I never liked cutting with my 460 b/c of the vibes. If you are not cutting big wood there is no need for a an 066.

$2
Well I think I'm not going to jump on it. Thinking I have that 281 that's needs a lil work and can be just as good for less money. I already have a 288 NWP jug for it. Maybe I'll get it sent to mastermind and have him do a woods port on it right away. Anyone got any idea what he charges for something like that.

$250 is the going price for port work. Not sure if he'll port the aftermarket jug. I would fix the 281 up and use it any way. None of those other saws will be any faster in moderate sized wood.

Back