441 bar size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi,Iam going to have couple drinks while i sharpen my chains ,so thought i would ask a question inadvance for some good reading later......i decided on purchacing a new ms 441,non mtronic tomorrow...............now before i buy,what is the best bar length to get it set up with,one that balances good and also size that the saw can handle without strain..........i will be using the stock sthil bar that comes on it,with 3/8 rsc sthil swiss chain.....i also keeping my ms361 for mid to small saw with 20" bar setup on it......thinking about using a 25" bar or 28"?? HELP please thank you in advance for your response.......:D

It all depends on what size wood you cut. I just bought the 441 mtronic version and I am wearing a 25" bar which is big enough for what I do. I have read that the 441 balances well with the 28" bar but have no experience with that. I have not really used the saw that much to see how it is. I got quite a bit to cut up hopefully in the next few days.

For me, a 20" bar was big enough to cut everything we have encountered, just a little slow at times in the bigger stuff on our JD CS56. That is why I wanted a saw with a little more power.

Last edited:
I like the 25" -that's what is on mine. I tried a 32" and it's just too much and going to sell it. I figure 28" is about as big as it can be without really bogging the saw down without modding it.

i was thinking 25",but heArd that 28" balance better,wonder if it pull 28" with rsc chain,non skip chain, would be little much? i dont need 28,but if it balance better?thanks again:cool2:

FWIW

I have a 441 rcm on order, should be here any day. It will wear a 25" most of the time, but I do have a 32" for the big stuff, when needed.

This will be our big saw, we have a 310, 290's, 261 and 026 for everything else. We cut mostly 10 to 24" wood

I have had a standard 441 and now have a 441RCM, they both handle a 28" bar fine in hardwood. The Mtronic just does it better. It's your money brother but I would reconsider the standard 441 purchase

Steve

I like to use my 441cm with a 28". It pulls it good and it is nice to not have to bend over to cut up the tops. I would recommend the light es bar as I stated in your other thread. I do have a 20" also that I will throw on on accasion when I have alot of smaller stuff to do that I can raise up to waiste height. The only problem I have with the 441 is that it cuts so fast I now have to help load wood because the wife and son can't keep up!

thankyou allnow you got me wanting the mtronic r 441 model:msp_thumbsup:

i was thinking 25", but heard that a 28" would balance better. Wonder if it pulls a 28" with rsc chain, non skip chain; would it be little much? i dont need a 28,but if it balances better?

That's my friend's setup; and he has no issues as well. Balances nicely too.

A regular 28'' bar is nose heavy on a 441, but from what I hear the 28'' lite bar balances good. I ran a 28'' on my 441 on ocasion and it did fine. I kept a 20'' 8 pin on it most of the time though. The new 461 I got wears the same setup.

ok changing this post to whatbar size of new ms 660??? comes with 36" bar and chain,and also can get with it another bar and chain free.....so??????????????

best balance bar for ms660???

thanks for any info you might have:bowdown:

Back