441 or 441 mtronic??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m tronic because it has the m tronic carb... :msp_smile:

While I am at it get the R version because... well it's the R version

I chose the 441 M-Tronic because its always in tune, no matter the conditions. Starts easily, usually in a couple pulls cold, and I've had it fire on the first pull cold before. No worries of flooding it or anything either. Get a lot of cutting in on a tank, very fuel efficient.

It runs exceptionally well too. :rock:

Another plus is that someone on here said that the saw actually saved itself when it had an air leak, as it pumped enough fuel in there to keep it from burning up.

And its only $40 more for that version.

Any new pro saws I buy I would prefer them to be M-Tronic or Autotune.

However, I wish I would have gotten the wrap version, for the dual dawgs and high output oiler. I've already added the dual dawgs on mine, but now may have to go back in sometime and change the pump if I ever go bigger than the "20 bar.

e61cd71a.jpg

I chose the 441 M-Tronic because its always in tune, no matter the conditions. Starts easily, usually in a couple pulls cold, and I've had it fire on the first pull cold before. No worries of flooding it or anything either. Get a lot of cutting in on a tank, very fuel efficient.

It runs exceptionally well too. :rock:

Another plus is that someone on here said that the saw actually saved itself when it had an air leak, as it pumped enough fuel in there to keep it from burning up.

And its only $40 more for that version.

Any new pro saws I buy I would prefer them to be M-Tronic or Autotune.

However, I wish I would have gotten the wrap version, for the dual dawgs and high output oiler. I've already added the dual dawgs on mine, but now may have to go back in sometime and change the pump if I ever go bigger than the "20 bar.

e61cd71a.jpg

hi,thanks for the info.i see you have a 362 sthil,how does it compare to the 441,as i have a 361,and wandered thankyou:msp_smile:

I just bought the 441RC-M and have not used it enough yet to say how well I like it.

It basically comes down to this, if you want the old tried and true carbs, get the plain 441 although I am sure they are different than the older 440's. But if you want the latest tech, better fuel mileage, no more adjusting, then get the 441 m-tronic. I have read on here that the m-tronic can prevent problems by over compensating for a problem like a fuel leak so that is another plus.

I really did not need the R version with the full wrap, HO oiler, bigger dogs, chain catcher, and larger clutch cover but since I intend for this to be my last saw purchase for a good while, I figured I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Trust me when I say this, I done quite a bit of research and thinking as with everything I buy about which saw to buy, the 441 or the 460. All in all, I think I will be extremely happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
I just bought the 441RC-M and have not used it enough yet to say how well I like it.

It basically comes down to this, if you want the old tried and true carbs, get the plain 441 although I am sure they are different than the older 440's. But if you want the latest tech, better fuel mileage, no more adjusting, then get the 441 m-tronic. I have read on here that the m-tronic can prevent problems by over compensating for a problem like a fuel leak so that is another plus.

thank you,i see you have the r version,does it oil well? thankyou

thank you,i see you have the r version,does it oil well? thankyou

To be honest, I am not sure yet. I haven't ran it enough to put a tank of gas through it yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few days. I worked on pulling several downed trees out today.

From what I have read, it should oil plenty. If you have it turned all the way up, it should run out of oil before you run out of gas, at least it should anyways.

Good luck on your purchase.

441C mtronic

I bought my mtronic a year ago. It runs exellent and pulls a 28" through ash and oak no problem. Starts very easy and always in tune. The only regret is that I didn't get the r version and the es light bar. Can cut a truck and trailer full of wood on a tank and half of fuel. I noodled up some 40 inch oak no problem. Go with the mtronic and hold on and enjoy the big smile. :msp_smile:

I like my M tronic

The M version is a great saw. I have not modified this one in anyway, and it runs good. Starts easy, air filter stays pretty clean. Torque all over the place. Antivibe is very good.
I got the wrap version cause I liked the look of the handle. This got me a better set of dogs, and a high output oil pump :rock:

My cutter has the regular 441, the power is about the same. I think the computer control is a terrific advantage tho. compensates for all kinds of variables.

To be honest, I am not sure yet. I haven't ran it enough to put a tank of gas through it yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few days. I worked on pulling several downed trees out today.

From what I have read, it should oil plenty. If you have it turned all the way up, it should run out of oil before you run out of gas, at least it should anyways.

Good luck on your purchase.

thankyou,nice saw also:cool2:

hi,thanks for the info.i see you have a 362 sthil,how does it compare to the 441,as i have a 361,and wandered thankyou:msp_smile:

Well, I didn't get much time on the 362 before it was stolen, but there was certainly a noticeable difference between it and the 441.

The 362 was a great saw, more than I would ever need and it pulled a 20" bar well. I got about a tank through it and it would make a great one saw firewood plan, which is what my plan originally was. I was ready to get a 25" bar for it and I believe it would have pulled it well enough for occasional use, though maybe not full time buried in oak or something.

And had I not come here and read all the good things about the 441, I'd have probably just went ahead and got the 362 again. (well, I did want a bigger saw than that little twerp that was using mine, I hope it blew up on him or something....)

But the 441 does put a smile on my face when I run it. It pulls the 20" bar very nicely, and if I ever need to, I can slap on a 28"ES light and be set for all but the largest trees here in my area. Seems to impress those who get to watch it in action :)

Course my little Earthquake could do all the cutting I need with a saw, as I only heat the unattached garage with wood. I probably don't go through half a cord of wood a year, but have been helping a buddy cut some wood.

I run a 361 with a full chisel chain on a 25" bar when I'm in bigger wood, otherwise it wears an 18" bar. It does just fine in oak and hickory with a 25" bar with a sharp chain. Next logical step to me is a 660, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

thanks i cant see where they state on sthil site that the r version has upgrade oiler,is that exta?????????????????????????????????thanks again:msp_smile:

Part of the deal

When I ordered mine with the "R" to get the wrap handle, Roy told me that it got a upgraded oil pump, and the double dog system. Which has a slightly different clutch cover... I think. Ask your dealer about it. That rams horn handle is really nice about twice a year when I am dropping a tree in a odd location and can't get where I want to be... meaning that I end up hanging onto the clutch side of the saw making the notch.

My outer dog fell off due to the bolts pulling (wearing?) thru the cover. I will get me a replacement someday...

When I ordered mine with the "R" to get the wrap handle, Roy told me that it got a upgraded oil pump, and the double dog system. Which has a slightly different clutch cover... I think. Ask your dealer about it. That rams horn handle is really nice about twice a year when I am dropping a tree in a odd location and can't get where I want to be... meaning that I end up hanging onto the clutch side of the saw making the notch.

My outer dog fell off due to the bolts pulling (wearing?) thru the cover. I will get me a replacement someday...

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!:bowdown:

Mtronic man, 21st century saw. Smoooooooth, powerful. And I am a husky/poulan/echo guy, but I will give props were props are due, stihl hammered it outta the ball park with that model.

And you might as well get the full bells and whistles with it, why not? Heck, I dont know if they have an arctic model, but heated handles would be slick, too.

You can always keep your peepers open for an older used 440 project, to have a back up old school saw that size, but buying new, get the best tech.

M-Tronic.

Had mine since Jan. '11. One of the very first in the country.

No problems.

sorry i didnt get off work in time to go to dealer,but called him to tell him i couldnt make it,but be in tomorrow,he said glad you called,since you already have the ms361,thinking you mite like the 66o,36" bar and chain,and throw in another 28" bar and chain for around $1000. vs $950.00 for 441.........wow i going to run both tomorrow,but bet i end up with 660:msp_smile:

Back