441c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gents,dad was given a 441c in a box today.It has been pulled apart because of a big cylinder and piston gouge.
Not sure why yet (pics to come later) but both circlips intact.Haven't checked bearings yet for missing parts.
Couple of questions

1) Is this saw worth mucking with?Don't seem to be a lot of love for the 441 from what I can gather.
Won't be using OEM P/C as too dear here in Australia.
2)If it has a black box on the carby with a black and a red wire coming out of it is it fuel injected even though it is a c and not cm?
3)Would it have to go back to Stihl after rebuild to be set up if injected.
4)Will it spark without carby hooked up.
5)Can i fit standard carby and coil?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,Chris.

A MS441C is a CM. Same cylinder on the standard carb version. There are no Stihl chainsaws yet on the market with fuel injection. It's just an electronically controlled carb. Great running saw, just a little more of a pain to work on.

Thanks Brad.Does the block on the side replace the mixture screws.Will have a bit more of a look tomorrow.Only had a 2 minute look over it today.Will put up some pics tomorrow hopefully.
May have confused myself with injection,used the wrong wording.
Never touched an mtronic before so just learning.
Cheers,Chris.

If its in decent shape, the case crank and surrounding parts in good shape itts worth a china p&c kit. You may find someone with a good used topend if you post a wanted add in the trading post. Most all the china kits ive seen have very thin plating and just dont wear as long as oem. Unless you are using a premium kit or a kit with knowen good plating it hold off for used oem. Hyway have had very good plating on the few ive used. A list of obes id use if they even make a 441 kit is hyway (very good plating) meteor great pistons and usually decent timimg and port shapes. Then cross but sone have had some issues with them on other models.

You need to find out what came through the transfer and gouged the piston. Could be a piece of the big end rod bearing cage, so crank is no good if that is the case. Could be a crank bearing fail on either side. Also check the crankcase carefully. If a foreign piece got under the crank counterweight it may have damaged the crankcase. Check the carb carefully to see if a screw or some part came loose and went in from there.
That saw is M-Tronic for sure and can be reset without the MDG 1 scan tool. Probably posted here somewhere or PM me if you need to know how to do it. If you get it running, that is.

Thanks stihl#1.crank bearings,big end,pin bearing,carby all good.Case all good.
There are about 4 marks on the piston top that look very much like a plug ground electrode.Very square and straight edged.
No plug in the box so unable to confirm this.
I will PM you if required.
Cheers,Chris.

Back