45" Base Elm Tree-Need Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got an Elm tree dropped off. Little did I know it was that hard to split. (rookie). The arborist told me too and I was like sure, it burns hot and slow, bring it over!

I considered buying a 27ton log splitter vertical/horizontal at Lowes but now thinking about renting a 34 ton log splitter for $85/day for 3 days.

Tree was 70 feet. 45" Base. The smaller logs I tried by hand and seem to be not too bad. But what about the big mammas with knots??

100_0838.jpg

100_0836.jpg

100_0837.jpg

You could always rip the big ones you can't split with your saw.

27 ton should do it, might be a bit slow.

I think that's red elm, which splits a lot easier than American Elm (Notice I said easier, not easy).

I'd rather buy one and have it when I need it than spend money and have only a pile of split wood to show for it.

I'd let ya use mine, but CT is a far drive on a tractor!!!

Thanks guys. Awesome site! I plan to be active here and hopefully help others out. Good point about owning the splitter..especially if I plan on doing this a lot. But $250 rental for 3 days compared to $1400 is easier to soak in...we'll see.

Red Elm makes me feel better. Thanks.

I considered buying a 27ton log splitter vertical/horizontal at Lowes

Don't do that.

Before you spend the long green, take your time and make your purchase AFTER you have done your homework and know what you are getting into. Don't let this one log get you in a rush that you'll regret later.

Renting will take care of this log, leaving you time to research what you really need.

Besides, the only thing you'll get at Lowe's will be MTD garbage.

You'll need all of that 34 tons for that stuff, BTW. You've got some crotches there. You can use the saw to split them down to manageable size.

Nice haul of wood! :clap:

Sounds like you need some splitting wedges. Get 3 good wedges and cut an X in the big rounds about 2 inches deep. Set your wedges and then hit them in order 1,3,2. You will have them busted up in no time at all. And you will sleep like a baby that night for sure. After you get done with that load you will be at the local supply place buying a splitter before the next load shows up.
:chainsaw:

I know your pain...I've got three elm's to do of equal size. But that's where the 066 comes in to rip them down to workable pieces then on to the splitter. About half way through I wonder why I bother to mess with the big rounds but the finished pile of wood is well worth it.Good luck

Good ta have ya!!

If you head over to TSC theyhave the 22ton on sale for 1K, and the 27 ton on sale for 1,400 Bucks.

Both will handle the elm, slow mind you, but they will plow through.

Somewhere on here are pic's of the big old ugly elm Nuzzy and I laid low last winter. Right about the same size as your new project.
Nary a problem with the 27Ton Huskee.

Matter of fact, some of the rounds were split tonight as they were mixed in with another tree or five.

Renting makes sense right now mind you, perfect sense.
Wait till the second day of rental though.
You'll be more than a bit ready to watch the Ball game, and still on hook for two days, and ya can't take a break or do other things.

Part of the "Savings" of owning your own splitter, is that you can come home and put in an hour of splitting here and there as daily exercise, and get ahead on the wood pile without killing yourself in a three day splitfest-O-pain.

Elm is stringy like cheep beef and you'll be wrestling the splits off the wedge.
Verical splitting is easier on the big rounds, but rasslin' the big rounds and breaking off the splits while bent over, is aerobic enough to make ya laugh at those skinny gals on the gonowhere bikes.LOL!!!

Best of luck with that pile, and have fun with the crotches...:D

'Ol Nuzzy was new to all of this last year, and after frothing himself up with a splitting maul and one round with a small crotch he turned around and said "I get it!, I get it!!, I gotta get a splitter or I'm screwed!" LOL!!!!

Noodles are fun to make with Elm as well...don't forget to make a few!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've got a (alleged) 27 ton YardMachines from the Depot. I've done alot of big elm with it....... no problem. I wouldn't claim it didn't labor through some crotches, but its split everyting I've thrown at it. If you split elm with a maul and wedges, you are a better man than I. I do find that letting it dry some seems to make it split better........ green elm almost seems to tear more than split. If i were you, and was gonna get wood dropped off regularly, i'd bite the bullet and just buy a splitter..... cuz I'm not as young as I used to be. :(

Heres some elm, you can compare it to the height of the wedge to get an idea how big around.

Evan20Tree20Cutting20Photos037.jpg

Evan20Tree20Cutting20Photos042.jpg

This is a purchase that shouldn't be rushed. I agree a 1-day rental will totally take care of that elm. or you could just noodle the whole thing into manageable pieces.

I too have the alleged 27 ton MTD. It's a decent machine to this point, about 2 years of splitting. It has developed a small leak at the operating lever which isn't a big deal. But in some ways I'm already looking forward to replacing parts to beef the thing up... bigger oil reserve, bigger engine, higher output pump, larger ram, etc.

I looked at building my own, but at the time the parts were cost prohibitive to my budget.

Good luck. I think I would just noodle the thing into manageable pieces and be done.

LMAO! Interesting reads. It's now October. Temps dipping into the 40's at night.

Last thing:: Should I wait until December to split it?(Frozen)? I noticed how soft and hard it is to split it with the water gushing out now. lol

if you play to do this on a regular basis id go buy one. mines a 16ton and its split damn near everything id ever been able to get up on the beam. i haed the speeco ones are over rated as far as tonnage. i still wouldnt be afraid of them they have the best customer service ive ever heard about.

Cambium

Are needing to burn that tree this year?

Nope. I got my cords ready for wood stove. I dont own a truck. Only small cars. I grabbed wood off the street and from people giving it away. Little at a time since Winter 08 I accumulated. Oaks, Maples, some Cherries. I got 2 cords ready for the wood stove.

The 5-6 cords of Elm here will either be used for next winter OR I originally wanted to sell them. Why you ask?

LMAO! Interesting reads. It's now October. Temps dipping into the 40's at night.

Last thing:: Should I wait until December to split it?(Frozen)? I noticed how soft and hard it is to split it with the water gushing out now. lol

LOL!!!
Waiting for it to freeze ain't gonna help much. It will still be stringy, and gushing water. You just wont be as hot while splitting.;)

Get after it when ya can, because the next bunch dropped off might be some Nice Ash or Oak and you wont want all that Nasty Elm in the way.

You aren't burning that Elm this year are ya?
Good luck with that.... there's less water in a bathtub than in an Elm.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nope. I got my cords ready for wood stove. I dont own a truck. Only small cars. I grabbed wood off the street and from people giving it away. Little at a time since Winter 08 I accumulated. Oaks, Maples, some Cherries. I got 2 cords ready for the wood stove.

The 5-6 cords of Elm here will either be used for next winter OR I originally wanted to sell them. Why you ask?

I was concerned about you burning wet wood this winter. If you've got time just whack away at it a little at a time. It can be split the old fashioned way it's just not fun, and way time consuming.

I still think noodling this tree makes sense unless you get alot of wood sold and can buy the splitter for cash.

Back