45" Base Elm Tree-Need Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UGH. Piss Elm. I'll never cut another one of them sum beeches up again. They are a PIA from the git go. The one I cut down last yr. was short and fat and had tons of brush. It was probably 32" Dia. What a pain. I split is ASAP and in small pieces. It sat for a good 8 months and I tried using some outside for a small fire to roast some marshmellow. HELL no. It would never light. Everything else lighted and it had water boiling out of the stick. :dizzy::confused::cry::censored:

UGH. Piss Elm. I'll never cut another one of them sum beeches up again. They are a PIA from the git go. The one I cut down last yr. was short and fat and had tons of brush. It was probably 32" Dia. What a pain. I split is ASAP and in small pieces. It sat for a good 8 months and I tried using some outside for a small fire to roast some marshmellow. HELL no. It would never light. Everything else lighted and it had water boiling out of the stick. :dizzy::confused::cry::censored:

If there was only a way to squeeze the water out and bottle it up. We can brand it Elm Water. lol Sell the water, sell the wood. :)

If there was only a way to squeeze the water out and bottle it up. We can brand it Elm Water. lol Sell the water, sell the wood. :)

I have just the machines to do that at work. I work for a plastic injection mold company. So a 4000 ton press would probably do the trick. It's just catching all the ELM WATER! LOL. hmmmm :crazy1:

I have just the machines to do that at work. I work for a plastic injection mold company. So a 4000 ton press would probably do the trick. It's just catching all the ELM WATER! LOL. hmmmm :crazy1:

LOL!!! This thread was a tease! First I was excited to get started splitting this Red Elm. Now I feel like I need to bring an umbrella chopping this wood and making sure I have dynamite to help split it then bring a pot and boil some water from the tree. Not to mention eating noodles while watching a ballgame after breaking my back.

Can't wait.

LOL!!! This thread was a tease! First I was excited to get started splitting this Red Elm. Now I feel like I need to bring an umbrella chopping this wood and making sure I have dynamite to help split it then bring a pot and boil some water from the tree. Not to mention eating noodles while watching a ballgame after breaking my back.

Can't wait.

Enjoy. I think I still have some of that elm laying in a pile somewhere around here. I've forgotten about. Which you may do soon enough. Or call your trees service to remove that pile. LOL . Just kidding. It will burn well in 2 yrs. and you will remember it.

We did 5 elm trees that size last winter. They had been topped off the year before so it was only the trunks. Only brush was some sprouts. The log lift was a lifesaver but it was all we could do to roll the pieces onto the lift.
That wood is slated for use in 2010-2011 winter as it is under the 3 cords of burr oak slated for that winter. Green elm takes a while to season if only for the reason it is so wet when green.

Don

Don't let these guys kid you, Elm ain't nothing if you have the tools for it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/arU_6LhQwHs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/arU_6LhQwHs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Link to original post here: splitting elm Couple more pics and another video of my toys there.

I split one a couple weeks ago larger than the one in the video, but it split nice, so I didn't shoot any more video. Dutch Elm Disease is making sure I have plenty of Elm to keep me warm - tons of dead ones around.

Good luck - and stay outta the chainsaw forum unless you want to own 28 chainsaws and tear them apart and port them as soon as you get them out the dealer's door! (Only half kidding, they're good guys over there, and know the answers to about any saw problem, but like the firewood nuts here, they've mostly gone off the deep end modding anything with a motor!)

Can't wait.

No truck, no splitter, big pile of big Elm rounds....
Now that I thnk about it, pick up a Milling chain for the saw and noodle 'em all down to size.;)

LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Don't let these guys kid you, Elm ain't nothing if you have the tools for it:

Thanks Steve. I actually viewed that video on youtube yesterday. Thanks for uploading it. I can't wait to tackle it. Even if it takes weeks. Maybe the guys who say its not worth it, aren't men. LOL :)

Step 1: Wait until it's been good and cold for a week (you won't be able to burn it this year anyway)

Step 2: Change your panties, pick up your maul and wedges, and go to work. :D

Hey, I'm 6', 160 lbs... and if I can split an elm this size by hand...

noname%282%29.jpg

1206081216.jpg

downsized_1206081128.jpg

...than I think anyone can (this one was only about 38"). Who needs a gym membership when you have elm? It just makes perfect sense. :cheers:

Back