.45 mm chainsaw use .48 stone??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chain that recommends a 4.5 grinding stone.and can only find 4.8 mm grinding stone for it. Will that work? Thank you!!

What is .45mm chain? That's .0177", which isn't a such thing in chains that I know of.

So sorry...that's what a 67 year old memory gets ya@
I have a Dewalt lithium 16" chainsaw, Model DCCS690
Seems the chain, Oregon #DWRC1600 was designed just for this saw as I can't find a matching chain by Stihl or others.
Manual recommends a 4.5 mm grinding stone which Dremel makes but can't find locally. I do have a 4.8 and was hoping that would work.
Thx so much!

.3mm = .010" which = .005" radius [ I have to convert to inches otherwise known as English measurement ]. I bet you would never know the difference. I would order the right points but use the one you have until they come in. I also use the Dremel 1453 chainsaw sharpening kit and really like it. You can put a super sharp edge on the chain much faster than using a file.

BTW, I have a Stihl 36V cordless and really like it. It uses a tiny chain and Dremel doesn't appear to make a point small enough. I use a #453 which is the smallest but just a tiny bit bigger than recommended. It works fine. Really, when you think about it , the stone starts wearing instantly so the diameter will start out a bit too big, wear to just right and then keep wearing until it's a bit too small or wear until all that's left is the steel shank. So I probably wouldn't worry about ordering the correct size unless the chain just won't cut after sharpening.

.3mm = .010" which = .005" radius [ I have to convert to inches otherwise known as English measurement ]. I bet you would never know the difference. I would order the right points but use the one you have until they come in. I also use the Dremel 1453 chainsaw sharpening kit and really like it. You can put a super sharp edge on the chain much faster than using a file.

Thx so much for your reply, rayjay!! I was hoping that was the case. I live in Naples, Fl which was hit with the eye of hurricane Irma and still have a lot of debris cleanup.
Went out to buy this saw and am in love with it after a week of using. No gas, carberator, pull starting, much quieter, only runs with trigger engaged. For me, a dream machine!

Thx so much for your reply, rayjay!! I was hoping that was the case. I live in Naples, Fl which was hit with the eye of hurricane Irma and still have a lot of debris cleanup.
Went out to buy this saw and am in love with it after a week of using. No gas, carberator, pull starting, much quieter, only runs with trigger engaged. For me, a dream machine!

I have 3 gas saws but I do a LOT of stuff that's 8" and smaller. The cordless just eats it up. The other thing about cordless is that you could put the thing away for 2 or 3 years and then when the need came up it would be ready to use instantly. A gas saw would most likely need at least a carb rebuild if not a new carb.

Irma left me a lot of work to do and I'm just north of Atlanta, GA !!!

2aieBjG.jpg

I have 3 gas saws but I do a LOT of stuff that's 8" and smaller. The cordless just eats it up. The other thing about cordless is that you could put the thing away for 2 or 3 years and then when the need came up it would be ready to use instantly. A gas saw would most likely need at least a carb rebuild if not a new carb.

Irma left me a lot of work to do and I'm just north of Atlanta, GA !!!

2aieBjG.jpg
Sounds like we could go into business selling these!
We were supposed to be near Clayton, Ga right now on vacation but had to cancel to do cleanup here. We just have to get all the trees and debris to the roadside and the county will eventually pick it up.

Yeah, the largest I've cut with this is about 10" and it just climbed through. I have an 16 incher coming up so thought I had better sharpen it for the first time. Saw has a 40 volt battery so I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

Enjoy the fall! I will sure miss it!

That tree in the pic is about 22" dia and the main trunk is 40+ feet long. My 20" Stihl gas saw will get a work out.

That part number comes up as being 3/8" Low Pro chain, .043" guage, that correct?

I usually sharpen with a 3/16" wheel, same as normal 3/8".

That part number comes up as being 3/8" Low Pro chain, .043" guage, that correct?

I usually sharpen with a 3/16" wheel, same as normal 3/8".
Not sure. Have tried to find specs on chain and have only found it's .043 guage. I guess I assume 3/8" pitch. Turns out this is Dewalt part #90618541.
Sorry for not being precise - am newbie to chain terminology.
Thx for your interest

Screenshot_20171016-180521.png
Not sure. Have tried to find specs on chain and have only found it's .043 guage. I guess I assume 3/8" pitch. Turns out this is Dewalt part #90618541.
Sorry for not being precise - am newbie to chain terminology.
Thx for your interest

Based on this info only should I be able to usr the Stihl 61PMN?

I definitely only use Stihl chains. I needed a new chain for a Homelite 14" and the guys at the Stihl counter looked it up and sold me the one I needed. When I am sharpening a chain with the Dremel attachment I work the grinding point in and out so that the stone is worn somewhat evenly. Don't just sit there at one place on the stone. Also pay attention to the instructions that came with the attachment. You sharpen the teeth on the other side of the bar from where you are standing. It only takes 3 or 4 in and out strokes to do what you need. I hit the chain with the sharpener either at the end of a batt charge or when it quits cutting like if I have to cut down low on the tree where dirt has splashed up on it. Dirt dulls the chain almost instantly.

I definitely only use Stihl chains. I needed a new chain for a Homelite 14" and the guys at the Stihl counter looked it up and sold me the one I needed. When I am sharpening a chain with the Dremel attachment I work the grinding point in and out so that the stone is worn somewhat evenly. Don't just sit there at one place on the stone. Also pay attention to the instructions that came with the attachment. You sharpen the teeth on the other side of the bar from where you are standing. It only takes 3 or 4 in and out strokes to do what you need. I hit the chain with the sharpener either at the end of a batt charge or when it quits cutting like if I have to cut down low on the tree where dirt has splashed up on it. Dirt dulls the chain almost instantly.
Your advice is very much appreciated!
How do you determine when to replace the stone? Approx how many sharpenings do you get out of a point?

Oregon 3/8 low profile, .050 gauge (Type 91 and similar chains) use 5/32" files.

Oregon 3/8 low profile, AND narrow kerf, .043 gauge (Type 90 and similar chains) call for 4.5mm (approximately 11/64") files.

?????

Sounds odd, since the 'smaller' chain calls for a slightly 'larger' diameter file. Not intuitive, but was told by an Oregon rep that it was due to a different cutter profile.

I tried it (I use this chain on a cordless pole saw) and was really happy with the results.

If you can't find the 4.5 mm files and file guide kit (might have to order?), you can use the 5/32" (approximately 4.0 mm) files.

4.8 mm (approximately 3/16") would be too large IMO.

If you switch to a different brand of chains, see what they recommend - might be different.

Philbert

Your advice is very much appreciated!
How do you determine when to replace the stone? Approx how many sharpenings do you get out of a point?

They start to look pretty crappy. Even though I try to use the whole length evenly it's impossible so you end up with part of the stone having a much smaller dia than the rest. Then I try to use the larger dia area. Eventually you wear them down to the adhesive and they quit grinding.

I use a magic marker to mark the first tooth I cut. You can also see the freshly ground surfaces as they come around.

Back