45 reasons I do not need a log splitter yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallElf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S55XLg3rG8

I have read many people talking about pulling the hydraulic lever on a log splitter. My dad got his hands on his camera, and mine on the Axe. A quick demo that loaded an S10 pickup (6 ft bed) in about half an hour. (This included splitting and stacking a 1 man operation).

Victim was a fairly straight dead oak species unknown.

I commend your performance and would like to see you do that with some elm. Ive tried it and cant split in one shot like that. Thats when I break down and ask BIL to borrow hyd. splitter.:cheers:

Good job, if the wood is easy splitting I do that in the bush / bucking site before I handle the wood to make it lighter and less to do later so I don't have to handle twice. Those that don't split first wack or so find their way to the splitter eventually.

Was that the 290 that got knocked off its high pedestal to sit closer too the 260?

I split many a cord of wood by hand when I was a teeneger(though I don't believe I ever went that fast!). Every piece of wood that went through my family's woodstove. Thats why my father had kids.:mad:

All that did was make me go buy a splitter when my wife and I bought our house , and decided to burn wood. You are more man than I !!:cheers:

When i split by hand I shoot for cutting and splitting a rick in a 1/2 hour. It usually requires locust, ash or hard maple to get this done. Anything twisted or crotch and you slow down.

I like your technique, but you move around too much. I put everything in a circle that way I don't have to walk much. Halve everything then stand it back up, or leave it on it's side and halve it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S55XLg3rG8

I have read many people talking about pulling the hydraulic lever on a log splitter. My dad got his hands on his camera, and mine on the Axe. A quick demo that loaded an S10 pickup (6 ft bed) in about half an hour. (This included splitting and stacking a 1 man operation).

Victim was a fairly straight dead oak species unknown.

Impressive.

I'm not sure I was ever stud enough to do that:cheers:

You're right you don't need a splitter...yet

Do what you do while you're young and can, broken bones, back injuries, arthritis will add up someday:)

I highly recommend goin all out at work and at play the toll it takes is worth it but, Father Time WILL collect his due:hmm3grin2orange:

Impressive.

I'm not sure I was ever stud enough to do that:cheers:

You're right you don't need a splitter...yet

Do what you do while you're young and can, broken bones, back injuries, arthritis will add up someday:)

I highly recommend goin all out at work and at play the toll it takes is worth it but, Father Time WILL collect his due:hmm3grin2orange:

My old man's 60... still splits with what he used all his life- 6 lb maul.

My grandfather did the same thing until he was too old to even burn wood three years before he died at age 96.

When the wood splits like that, hand splitting is fun. Its when you get into some large biatch of a piece that takes 12 dozen wacks just to break off one corner.

i apologize for the saw. it just wanted to get closer to the action.

for now, i will just keep poundin.

did a three load split today for 09/10 red oak blowdown. camera man wasout workin. too big to do the hack&wack like the video, but about 18-20 pieces per round

Latest posts

Back