45 reasons I do not need a log splitter yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool video!

I wish I could get oak that split like that! The pieces I did this morning were spitting the iron right back at me! Even with the Fiskars, I had to wittle away at them.

I agree that by hand is the best though...the only time I think a splitter would be faster is for the crotch wood and/or using a Super Splitter.

Not going to lie and brag.. there are definitely some crotches and some nappy stuff that gets demoted to bonfire, that if I had a splitter, would probably make it into the indoor stove. (Sometimes ya just have to noodle away with the saw).

I just had to replace the handle on that Tru-temper to a wooden handle as it broke (they say lifetime guarantee, but we all know how that works out.)

I am tempted to try that Fiskars axe, but I am just so darn comfortable with this one that I don't think I will ruin a good thing just yet.

When the wood splits like that, hand splitting is fun. Its when you get into some large biatch of a piece that takes 12 dozen wacks just to break off one corner.

3 whacks and it gets a wedge. If it's clear the piece has like 5 different grain directions and isn't going to split with anything, I just rip it with the chainsaw.

45 reasons I do not need a log splitter yet

key word: yet

lemme know when you're 50 if you feel you need one. :)

Very impressive !! I must have a different kind of oak, even my 30 ton splitter groans trying to split it. Reps for sure.

Very impressive!! :rock:

Wish my wood split like that, normally I give it a good whack and the only thing I hear is bonk as the ax bounces off the wood. Though I do like it when it is -20 outside and I bring in a straight piece of wood and it splits with one whack. But, due to wrist issues after a couple of pieces of wood I need to quit.

Not going to lie and brag.. there are definitely some crotches and some nappy stuff that gets demoted to bonfire, that if I had a splitter, would probably make it into the indoor stove. (Sometimes ya just have to noodle away with the saw).

I just had to replace the handle on that Tru-temper to a wooden handle as it broke (they say lifetime guarantee, but we all know how that works out.)

I am tempted to try that Fiskars axe, but I am just so darn comfortable with this one that I don't think I will ruin a good thing just yet.

I use the same technique as well, maybe not quite as many at once though :dizzy: I find I have to watch that I don't try to swing through the wood, the impact isn't good I'm sure.
I looked at the friskars in the store yesterday and it would be good but the handle is too short, so you have to be accurate as a miss could be bad. Not very good for speed splitting!
I also rip a few too, I figure I won't wear out my saw any decade soon even with the extra work, and I don't really need another engine around.
Ian

I sure wish the elm and locust that I cut in Nebraska split like that. I'd love to have lined up a few of my big rounds for the same guy to try. :dizzy:

i was surprised, straight locust can pop the same if under 16 inches. knotty stuff can cause a rift though. also... I AM NOT SUPERMAN..but birthdays are like kryptonite. I will however gieve any piece he:censored: before it gets pitched to the "angry" pile. Sometimes chainsaw therapy is necessary

Back