45 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45 ton splitter could be built but it would be huge,,,,, not really
it would need some good part's and careful planing to hold all the stress

big beam
big ram
big moter
big pump

sure it's possible but not likely... when a quality commercial splitter like TW-5 only puts out 25tons force... note this is actual force, not inflated tons like Speeco, Northern, MTD, etc.... almost all mfg inflates tonnage figures.

my 35 ton speeco when calculated by size of pump/motor/cylinder diameter... puts out closer to 25 tons force... which is a LOT...

Last edited:
If you have enough pressure or a big enough cylinder, you can get anything you want. Having a frame that will hold it is another story. Here's how it breaks down:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what my father and a friend made about 25 years ago.

The thing had a +-30cm cylinder, that would be about 12".....

the beam was a 0.8 inch thick 3 meter long 16" H on a separate axle
the hydraulic unit rode on 2 axles, a 15hp 380V 3phase engine and an oil tank of about 100 liters.

I remember what it was splitting and cant remember it stalling once. It was slow, therefore my father replaced the cylinder with a smaller one, about 6 inches and that worked for some time till the pressure busted out the head of the cylinder on 1 occasion.

Unfortunately they sold the whole thing once wood pricing dropped and we could afford buying split wood. Before (from there my attraction to the smell of 2 stroke) we used to buy 18ft logs to buck and split.

I would give an arm and a leg to have it back now, but then how would i operate it?

so 45 ton homemade possible, yes for sure!

my 35 ton speeco when calculated by size of pump/motor/cylinder diameter... puts out closer to 25 tons force... which is a LOT...

2.5^2x3.14=19.63 square inches.

19.63x3500=68,722 pounds force from the cylinder...pretty close to 35 tons.

Yes, the pump does and will put out 3500 psi.

Built one thats close 12hp 3000 psi pump 6" cyl 42 ton. Do your homework on design or you are gonna tear up some stuff. Never had it go past 2000psi splitting wood. I could adjust the relief to 3200 and get 45 ton the cyl is rated for 5000. Its built on a 10" h beam 1/2 flanges and web it will bow up and twist some with the tough stuff but it always snaps back. It looks like any other homemade splitter.

Last edited:
Need it? No. It is nice in gnarly stuff. I used what I had and was cheap. I happened across the cylender out of an industrial machine being scrapped-free. Bought a 15 gal tank small cyl and valve for $75. Found a beam and axle off a spiltter somone started and never finished $50. Junked a truck to buy a pump $230. $100 in lines and probably $100 in welding supplies and misc. Scrap 7/8 plate from a local fabricator. Added an engine off a junk mower and welded till I was going crazy and BAM 45 ton splitter. I have to give partial credit to my friends one a machinist and one a mechanical engineer. I will get pics fri its nothing spectacular to look at its not super fast but it never stalls.

Last edited:
Need it? No. It is nice in gnarly stuff. I used what I had and was cheap. I happened across the cylender out of an industrial machine being scrapped-free. Bought a 15 gal tank small cyl and valve for $75. Found a beam and axle off a spiltter somone started and never finished $50. Junked a truck to buy a pump $230. $100 in lines and probably $100 in welding supplies and misc. Scrap 7/8 plate from a local fabricator. Added an engine off a junk mower and welded till I was going crazy and BAM 45 ton splitter. I have to give partial credit to my friends one a machinist and one a mechanical engineer. I will get pics fri its nothing spectacular to look at its not super fast but it never stalls.

sometimes home made is better than one bought.

i made mine, as did many others, and i'm just as proud of it as the next guy.

get some pics up!!

ya... well that's all fine in theory... have not measured my working pressures yet. but highly doubtful it's going above 2,500 psi ... which is closer to 25 tons..

nice wedge design!

saw004.jpg

2.5^2x3.14=19.63 square inches.

19.63x3500=68,722 pounds force from the cylinder...pretty close to 35 tons.

Yes, the pump does and will put out 3500 psi.

Last edited:
Wiring is kind of a mess need to work on it some. One switch is on/off one turns on the charging system for the battery and the one dangling is the start button. I had to replace the original and it wouldnt fit the hole.

Last edited:
Big wood does not mean a thing.I have an 11gpm pump on my 8HP B&S with a 4" cylinder.My valve was factory set for 2350 psi.Rarely does my guage go past 1100 psi except on a crotch and may hit 1700 or so_On occasion I have pegged the at the relief pressure of 2350 and have wondered what I would have actually needed but a couple of back and strokes and it is usually split.

People that are building supposedly super strong splitters better look at what their components are spec'd at.Hoses are generally in the 3000psi range along with cylinders unless spending more money.Better off leaving the valve set to lower specs from manufacturer to b safe.Not very safe seeing a hose burst at 3000 psi or higher-----VERY HURTFUL AND OUCHHHHHH !!!!

I understand the burst hose concern. I have seen oil injected into flesh firsthand it is not pretty. My cyl came off a press and has a 5000 psi working pressure. My hoses are for joy mining equip and have 5000 working pressure. I feel pretty safe at 3000. With the big cyl I usually am not over 1500 unless its something really tough.

Last edited:
Back