455 or the 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarone1991

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm going to purchase another chainsaw. I'm leaning toward a Husky 455 but am also considering the Husky 460. Is it worth scaling up to the 460, or are the 2 models mostly the same other than the 5cc difference?

So I'm going to purchase another chainsaw. I'm leaning toward a Husky 455 but am also considering the Husky 460. Is it worth scaling up to the 460, or are the 2 models mostly the same other than the 5cc difference?

I would suggest not buying either one. The Echo cs590 is a far better saw, they go for $399 sometimes a little less.

If you must choose between the two you listed, I believe the weight is pretty much the same between them, so you'd always want the most power for the weight, 5cc will give you a bit more power.

I agree with the Echo suggestion.

I ran a 460 Rancher for about 1/2 an hour once. A couple of years later I bought an Echo 590. I prefer the Echo by quite a bit. And it was way less money at the time.

It's a personal thing though..I am sure the Husky would serve you well.

I have a 455 and my friend has a 460. Not much difference in power. If max bar length is important the 460 will pull a 24 inch. If your OK with a 20 inch bar then you will be happy with either. I liken these two saw to the Toyota Camery of the saw world not fast or light but extremely reliable. both excellent saws for what they are. No experience with Echo.

I just bought a 460 2 weeks ago. It’s a step up from my 20 year old 55 rancher, but a major step down from my 2101. However, it pulls a 24” Bar through big fir trees easily enough. It’s A LOT lighter than my 2101, which is the reason I bought it. I like it well enough

I had a 455 and it ran well. Developed a bar oil leak but I replaced the tank line and that fixed it. Ran great seasonally for a few years. It's a little heavy but reliable.

I have not owned an Echo saw but they are Japanese and looking over the parts fiche they look nice. Parts are reasonably priced and readily available online.

I'd also vote for the Echo Cs-590.
I see them for $380-400 from stores and new on fleabay as low as $340. Seems like a lot of saw for $340!
I wish it had a rim sprocket instead of spur sprocket on the clutch but not a deal breaker.

I agree with the echo 590 suggestions. They're a strong running saw out of the box and respond well to mods from mild to wild. With just a muff mod, pull the carb limiters and retune, you'll be surprised. If you wanted to go further then you could do porting, unlimited coil and a bigger carb

200 gets you a different cylinder, rim drive, metal handle, solid bar, and probably other stuff too

Its rated at 3.9hp as a 590 and 4.5 or so as a 620.

I really doubt that a 590 holds a candle to a 620, but thats a guess.

200 gets you a different cylinder, rim drive, metal handle, solid bar, and probably other stuff too

Its rated at 3.9hp as a 590 and 4.5 or so as a 620.

I really doubt that a 590 holds a candle to a 620, but thats a guess.

To some people they don't need a pro saw or the $200 upcharge. The 590 would be just fine and they could do some free mods if they wanted to to increase its performance. We could argue about this all day

I am not arguing. You just implied that spending a whole bunch of money (carb, coil, porting, etc) on a 590 would be prudent. i think it would be stupid when there's an upscale version available from the factory- a better saw if you are looking for pro performance.

I bet there are a few 590 owners on here that have already learned that. Guaranteed.

if you are going to go pro echo or pro makita might as well pull the trigger on a pro husky or a pro stihl (god I hate stihl) but its about parts availability 10 years down the road... especially on line. buy a used 346, rebuild it and thank me later.

Back