460 Rancher not oiling bar (not bar or gummed chain issue)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

Oil not pumping on my 460 Rancher. Took off bar and chain, put my booger hook on the trigger and let her scream. Nothing coming out still. Just little drips. Im not a huge mechanic, but would like to avoid taking it in for now. Any ideas for a few quick checks or clean outs that would not require me doing a piston stop and messing with the clutch and all that?

And any good diagrams or videos would be welcome too.

Thanks

Wash out the oil tank with some diesel if the little filter in there is plugged up that could slow it down.

I would bet its probably that plastic worm gear that drives the oil pump though or the line from the oil pump out could have some crud in it.

diagram.gif

If you need to get the clutch off just use a brass punch. Few sharp whacks and it will unscrew, no piston stop needed. Least that's how I do them.

Kerosene or just throw a little 2 cycle mix in there and slosh it around. Use a small light to look inside tank and see if you can see oil line and if it is in fact all blocked up. If you can see wood chips in the oil tank odds are there is junk plugging it up.

you can use any petroleum distillate to clean the tank out... gas, kerosene, paint thinner, etc

worm gear part # is: 537 25 26-01 (seen above)
real clutch removal tool can be found on ebay for $12-$17 PN: 502 54 16-03

Even though Baileysonline.com still leaves a bad taste in mine and many others minds they have PN 31118 which is an aftermarket version of tool PN 502541603 for about $10 + shc but you could also order the pinion gear there too to combine shipping charges.

Also don't forget it is a left hand threaded clutch so it turns right to loosen.

Latest posts

Back