461 vs 462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriscls

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey I’m thinking about buying a 461 or 462 I was leaning towards the 461. Just wondering if anybody had any input?

I’m currently going through the same debate. All the replies I got basically came down to m-tronic or not. However, the 462 is about 2 lbs lighter.

Why is it so much lighter? Lighter crank weight, less rotating mass, less torque? Thinner cylinder walls? Does that effect heat cycling, metal fatigue? More plastic? Lighter plastic? Someone will be along.:popcorn2:

Could be a new allow they’re using for the metal castings. There’s a lot of new stuff being produced in mold making nowadays. A small pocket of steel being removed in a nonessential area yields great weight saving capability.

I have a NIB 462 here, but to save one pound over a 440?

That 440 hybrid will mop the floors with that 462. That’s my bet.

The fastest hybrid I saw beat a ported 462 through a 24” cant by 5 seconds, consistently. Even the slower ones beat the 462 by 4 seconds.

It’s not all about speed, the AV and ergonomics on the 462 are very good. But for balls-to-the-wall power, the hybrid will win.

If you need one big saw, 461. It’s a quad port 460.

I have a NIB 462 here, but to save one pound over a 440?

That 440 hybrid will mop the floors with that 462. That’s my bet.

The fastest hybrid I saw beat a ported 462 through a 24” cant by 5 seconds, consistently. Even the slower ones beat the 462 by 4 seconds.

It’s not all about speed, the AV and ergonomics on the 462 are very good. But for balls-to-the-wall power, the hybrid will win.

If you need one big saw, 461. It’s a quad port 460.

A question on the hybrid 046/044 saws. Were they a straight up swap or were they ported much also? That is screamers or still usable as work saws?

When recently shopping for a new saw I was in the same boat. Couldn't decide between the 461 and 462. I ended up going with the 462 and am glad I did. When I first picked it up to use it I wondered, "How can something this light have any power?" But it pulled a 20" bar like crazy, even a little too fast. I recently got a 28" lightweight es bar and skip tooth chain for it and the saw handles that bar like a boss. I have about 8-10 tanks through it and am really impressed so far.

I don’t believe you could make a wrong choice, bar length may be a deciding factor for you. I run 461r models and have never had a problem whatsoever! If you run short bars you would probably be happier with 462,I have a friend in Pa that runs a 20 inch bar & maxes out at 25 he tells me it feels perfectly balanced with the 25. Less filter maintenance with 462, I run oiled filter on 461 to keep particulates out. I think you would be more than happy with either, good luck!

I'm curious on the weights, as all the saws are full of fluids. Is there a place to look up oil/fuel volumes? Does the 044 have bigger tanks?

Weights & measures from the online owners manuals

Stihl 440

Fuel tank capacity:
1.69 US pints (.8 l )
27 fl. oz.

Oil tank capacity:
0.68 US pt (0.325 l)
10.88 fl. oz.

Weight without bar and chain:
13 lb (5.9 kg

Stihl 462

– Weight without fuel, oil, guide bar or saw chain:
– MS 462 C-M: 13.2 lbs. (6.0 kg)
– MS 462 C-M R with wrap-around handle:
13.9 lbs. (6.3 kg)
– Maximum fuel tank volume: 24.3 oz. (0.72 l)

– Maximum oil tank volume: 11.5 oz. (0.34 l)

Few weeks ago I was buying a 261, and while they had it in back getting it ready, I idly checked out the 461 and 462, comparng them to my 441. The guy said, do you tune your own saws?, I said yes, and he said the 462 has to be brought in to the shop to be tuned.

Now, I don't know if that's the case, but if it is, it would be 461 for me.

Few weeks ago I was buying a 261, and while they had it in back getting it ready, I idly checked out the 461 and 462, comparng them to my 441. The guy said, do you tune your own saws?, I said yes, and he said the 462 has to be brought in to the shop to be tuned.

Now, I don't know if that's the case, but if it is, it would be 461 for me.
A 462 shouldn't need "tuned" as that is what the M-Tronic does. Compensates for temp,humidity,altitude and a dirty air filter. Not sure what would be needed if you had to change a carb or coil.

The guy said, do you tune your own saws?, I said yes, and he said the 462 has to be brought in to the shop to be tuned

That`s right, depending on how you see it. The MS 462 C-M can be calibrated with the calibration run in the forest. This calibration is like tuning the carburetor with seated limiter caps, that means not the full adjustment range is availible. If the calibration process is done in the workshop with diagnostic tool hooked up, it changes the regulating limits (also the elevation above sea level has to be put in where the saw is mostly operated). This means it is like tuning the carburetor without limiter caps, and the full adjustment range is availible while calibrating and a new baseline is set.

The 461 is a beast. I bought mine here in the classifieds, 4 years ago, for a little over $800 with a 32" bar and chain, and that included shipping. The 461 needs a mod to the oiler, which is cheap and easy to do, and then it is a monster with a 24" B&C.

Back