462 as an everyday?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrytheferry

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anybody runs a 462 as a daily, I’m currently running a 550xp mark 2 with an 18 inch bar at work, the weight difference between them on paper is only half a kilogram, basically just wondering if people find the 462 comfortable to run 12 hours a day, I have a 461 at home and I find it a little heavy for limbing, and firewood

I rely on my 462 to pay bills. I did own a 372xp at the same time, but found myself grabbing the 462 more often, so I sold that 372. Had that new Stihl for about a month now, and ran about 20 gallons of gas through it. Real smooth saw, and plenty of power for a 28 inch in softwood. All I've done to the saw is muffler mod dual port .

Was just wondering if anybody runs a 462 as a daily, I’m currently running a 550xp mark 2 with an 18 inch bar at work, the weight difference between them on paper is only half a kilogram, basically just wondering if people find the 462 comfortable to run 12 hours a day, I have a 461 at home and I find it a little heavy for limbing, and firewood

No metric here in the states, and I dunno about your wording here, but the spec. weight on a 550xp Husky is only 10.8 pounds. That is a flyweight 50cc saw. The 462 is 13.2 pounds. The 461 is 14.7 pounds. That is a pound and a half difference and more than a half kilo difference between them. Also there is a huge difference in vibration, which also greatly impacts fatigue with use. Vibration on the Husky 550xp is 3.8 m/s² & 3.7 m/s² front - rear handle. Now the Stihl 461 and 462 are counter intuitive. While the 462 is a considerably lighter saw, it has a lot more vibration. The vibration on the Stihl 461 is 4.0 m/s² & 3.8 m/s² front - rear handle (nearly the same as the 550xp) and the 462 is 4.8 m/s² & 3.6 m/s² front - rear handle. These values are from the UK Stihl site, as they do not post them here in the US.

Dunno why you would want a 70cc saw for limbing. The 550xp was made for that. The 461/2 are bucking/falling saws. Personally I find high vibration saws more tiring to use, as is the same with heavier saws. Also saws with more torque are more fatiguing, as they have a lot more pull on the bar. I like my 361 saws as they have really low vibration below 3.0 and they are fairly light weight at 12.3 pounds. I can run one for an 8 hour day. Dunno about running one for a 12 hour day. Even in my prime...

Yep, love it.

Go to medium saw after 261. Limbing, stand thinning, small-medium felling, not bad to climb with for blocking off etc. Have five motor heads in the same class & 462 is the pick. Narrow engine block is a big winner for user ergonomics.

500i is really nice, since that came along the 462 & 661 have been getting a bit less attention though.

Back