4x4 bucket truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been climbing all these terrifying dried out dead crusty ash trees. As EAB climaxes here in north-central PA it's going to get worse. I do a fair amount of crane jobs but the thought occurred to me that getting a bucket truck would save me some stress.

I really don't know much about bucket trucks and never expected to buy one. My thought is that since we're in a rural area, I'd like to consider getting something I can drive into backyards and, since I already have a chip truck, I'd prefer a stakebed or utility body. All that said, if I'm going into people's yards it would be nice to get a 4x4. That's where I'm running into trouble. Is it generally true that larger trucks are typically 2x4? I've seen a few 5500's that are 4x4 but they don't seem to have the height I'm looking for.

Alternatively, I could just get a smaller bucket truck with 4x4 and compromise on height- (30-40'?). Not sure how helpful that would be since the most dangerous climbs are up higher.

Also, my budget for this is probably 15-20k max so I'll be looking at something pretty well used. yikes!

They're out there. There was just a thread recently on here about them. Want to say the ones linked to were in the 20-25k range.

They're out there. There was just a thread recently on here about them. Want to say the ones linked to were in the 20-25k range.

I know Xcell energy in Minnesota has off road capable utility/bucket trucks that have driven front axles. But they are huge. And have tandem dual wheel rear axles. So it’s kinda a 10x10 if you count the individual wheels. I’m certain they cost a fortune.

You could maybe find a used one.
I don’t know. From what you said they are more truck than you need.

However I watched one come up a hillside, actoss a lawn and then up and over a four foot 45 degree ditch without thinking about it...
So they seem to be unstoppable.

STIHL the BEST

They're not common but they do come up on the used market regularly. The company I work for has an international 4800 that's 4x4 with a 65' over center rear mount. Bought used a few years ago. It definitely goes places a rwd truck of similar size won't but is far from unstoppable. It's still a big heavy truck.

Are they typically SRW? I see them come up occasionally on auction sites and they always seem to be SRW.

I sold this one a while back for 25k. Some good old boys bought it and got a great truck. Too bad you missed it. Was on the tree trader for a month or so. Truck was actually short enough and maneuverable enough to fit some amazing places. 60’ work height (I think closer to 62’ if you really worked for it).
70B326A6-5901-49C0-BD4E-BB3B412536CF.jpeg

I sold this one a while back for 25k. Some good old boys bought it and got a great truck. Too bad you missed it. Was on the tree trader for a month or so. Truck was actually short enough and maneuverable enough to fit some amazing places. 60’ work height (I think closer to 62’ if you really worked for it).
View attachment 763154

Nice!

They're not common but they do come up on the used market regularly. The company I work for has an international 4800 that's 4x4 with a 65' over center rear mount. Bought used a few years ago. It definitely goes places a rwd truck of similar size won't but is far from unstoppable. It's still a big heavy truck.

Indeed.
I probably should have chosen better words.
Maybe that’s why they have a winch.
:yes:

STIHL the BEST

We've had 2 where I work (both rear mounts) and you can get into trouble with them, but I would never buy a 2wd one again. +1 on the winch also, really handy for pulling trees over besides being able to extract you or any other truck on site.

I found a 82 ft on a 219" wheelbase last year. 4x4. It's been the perfect truck so far. I have 2 and 4 wheel drive buckets but really never use 4wd. If it's that bad we just don't do the job at that time. We'll wait til it's dry enough that way we aren't spending all out time repairing yards.

I found a 82 ft on a 219" wheelbase last year. 4x4. It's been the perfect truck so far. I have 2 and 4 wheel drive buckets but really never use 4wd. If it's that bad we just don't do the job at that time. We'll wait til it's dry enough that way we aren't spending all out time repairing yards.

I must admit I’ve got reach envy. My truck is 2x4 and 60’. The other one is 2x4 and 70’.

Good call waiting for the dry ground.

Sure beats pulling your truck in half...

I have a 2x4 60ft and a 4x4 100 ft. The 100 ft weighs 53k so it has to be dry for it. The 60 ft weighs 33k and the 82 ft is 28k. It's become my main truck lately. Only used 4wd once. Backing up a small hill in a horse pasture. They seem to crap in one place and that's right where I had to go.

I have a 2x4 60ft and a 4x4 100 ft. The 100 ft weighs 53k so it has to be dry for it. The 60 ft weighs 33k and the 82 ft is 28k. It's become my main truck lately. Only used 4wd once. Backing up a small hill in a horse pasture. They seem to crap in one place and that's right where I had to go.

No doubt!

Sometimes if it wasn’t for our beautiful office view(the wilderness), wading through “sh*t”(proverbial and real), would get really old.
One of my guys today, dropped an as*load of willow saplings, on the edge of a pond, right into the pond...
I’m not one to bitc* much and I lead by example.
So in up to my mid calf’s I went to get them out.
Glad for good boots and merino wool socks.
The tops of my socks got wet but by golly my Kenetrek boots kept me dry.

I don’t think he’ll do that again.
I think he knows it’s his turn to get in the pond.
:yes:

View attachment 763154

You sold Stubs? End of an era. That was/is a badass rig.

View attachment 763154
Too cheap! I just paid that for a small stump grinder!

Too cheap! I just paid that for a small stump grinder!

Yeah, but it was half what I paid for it twelve or thirteen years ago, so I thought I did okay. Like I said, it was just time. At least I liked the guy that bought it. That truck was too good to go to some douchebag arborist wannabee. lol

View attachment 763154
What else you got for sale?

Back