5/12/07 central Mass rec climb report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A rec climb for northeast Arboristsite folks was held on Saturday, May 12. Treebeach was our host, with OTG Boston and my mossy self providing backup.

The climb was held on a fine white oak a mile+ walk in from the road in Petersham, Mass. The weather was excellent, sunny and warm but not too warm. I don't know the final head count but I think we had 14 or so climbers plus friends on the ground. An interesting array of human powered transportation devices was used to carry gear and reach the tree: bicyles, wagons, trailers (and a unicycle with knobby tires!). As we prepared to hike in I think I heard someone say "wagonpalooza!" We might have called the climb "blackflypalooza". So we donated blood to the local ecosystem, fair enough.

Climb020 made it up from New Jersey and Adrpk from NYC. also had climbers from Connecticut, New Hampshire and from Mass. A variety of interesting gear configurations and climb techniques were used. A new climber made his first ascent in a tree and Treebeach and others demonstrated throwing and other climb techniques. Climb020 demo'd an SRT false crotch/DdRT system and wowed the group with his quick as a cat movement in the tree. Meanwhile some big swings were happening in the crown. Climbers were still in the tree 4-5 hours after the start. As we wound up Treebeach ran a throwing drill to help climbers prepare for upcoming competition. I'll leave it to others to offer their pics, reports and comments. I'll post my pics too.
-blackFlyChewedButHappyMoss

Last edited:
Well I finally got home just a few minutes ago. Everything went well and we had a good time. I will be uploading pics soon and will post a few and a link here. It was good finally meet some of you and I think we had a pretty well rounded group.

And Andrew what is this talk of black flies. I had hardly noticed....itch, itch. But it was funny the both of us were driving ourselves crazy itching all the way back to the hotel and yet I still find myself inbetween words itching. But it was just a small price to pay for a good time.

I would really like to thank Treebeech for putting this all together and proving the tree along with food and beverages for all. Sorry we did not stay for the after party but after such a long day we desperatly wanted to get to the hotel, shower and sleep.

Last edited:
A few pics from the climb

Treebeach working it
496240224_8be4570bd9.jpg

Climb020 footlocking up
496242092_e3b6f07a39.jpg

View from the top
496278019_3363706768.jpg

Last one out of the tree
496250128_7f797284f9.jpg

Art shows how to move gear
496283741_9e8c573e71.jpg

Full photo series
-moss

Ok well here is the group photo, it does not include everyone being we were not all in the tree at the same time.

000_0021.jpg

The other photos can be viewed here Mass. Climb. I post the pics here so that way if you do not have a photo printer you can order and prints that you would like. If there are and specific pics anyone wants from there being you cannot copy them, PM me your email address and the photo number/s that you would like. Only person I plan to send all pics. to is our TCIA climber, if there are others let me know.

Last edited:
some buzzardry in the tree.

it was a good day. to anyone buying the anti bug stuff the "cutter outdoorsman heavy duty formula" works well.

i had some fun with you all and look forward to the next one.

art on that unicyle was a riot. he was tearing the place up on that thing. lol

hey 020 you got my respect. good stuff.

nice to have met some of you again and those for the first time.

i say again and soon.

oldirty

Rockin Fun - itch itch

Hey Gang,

I had a great time you guys. Thanks for making the effort to trek all the way out to central Ma and to trek all the way in to "the tree".

I had a blast. Looking forward to the next time and Bob- wishing maybe a little[/I] more wind to keep those pesky biting dudes away. :)

Till next time...! Hope to see some of you next weekend in CT.

Cheers,
Treebeach

Tree Beach, OTG, and moss....

I think I can speak for everyone one who attended, and say thank you for taking the time to organize this event. I had a great time, and it was great to see some of the excellent climbers that attended apply their trade and even better to see a couple first timers experience their first ascent into a tree. I don't climb very often these days, but I must say it was really nice to climb a tree that I was not cutting down and the absence of chain saws roaring through the air at the speed of sound, was very sweet!!!!

Jim you missed a great pony ride into the woods........

great success

What a great event! Big thank you to Melissa and Bear for being such great hostesses. When I woke up on Sunday my face actually HURT from smiling so much.

I have some pics that I'll post later today.

And like oldirty says, "again and soon!"

That was a good time! Learned a bunch and had fun doing it. Mass. is a beautiful state. Couldn't help but notice all the white oaks on the way home. Exceptional hosts to this event, OTG being the man, Bear and Melissa, I must say, really worked hard to impress us and they did. 020 is a rocket on a rope. Moss, well the guy seems to have been around trees for a while, to say the least. Melissa, I saw was no stranger to them either. Bear was my hero. Art is probably still there. Old dirty really is a reincarnated Paul Bunion. Got to meet the infamous Diltree and rmihalek. Got something from all of them. My only problem was I walked off without my cambium saver, did anyone find an extra one in their stuff? It could be distinguished by it's lack of use. Let's do it again soon. Bob

Cross loaded biner?

As I was jugging into the tree on a choke hitched SRT line I had some comments (appreciate the backup) about my "cross loaded biner" at the TIP. I was using a 10mm (stock diameter) Rapide Mallion steel delta screw link attached with an F8 on a bight to capture the running end and choke the branch (same effect as a running bowline). The good thing about this delta link is that it can be loaded in any direction. I should've made the bight a little tighter on the link to prevent it from shifting around but there was no danger of the link failing. Note that the two legs of the rope were in the corners of the delta, not contacting the gate (screw link)

It's funny because I usually tie a backed up running bowline for this type of TIP but thought I'd try the screwlink for a change. I have been criticized for using a running bowline because of the rope on rope contact. I'm comfortable with it because there is no rope movement when the system is loaded.

Info on 10mm Rapide Mallion delta

The comments on whether or not the branch I was tied in to was safe or not is another discussion :) Again, I appreciate everyone looking out for me.
-moss

Last edited:
some pics

Gearing up, tree with no one in it yet, Adrpks first flight, diltree.

Anyone else get P.I?

Last edited:
more pics

8 in a tree, oldirty and moss, hangin' out with 020 in the tree (I think we'll be seeing him in Husky or Stihl adds someday)

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments guys but like I said I have only been climbing for 3 years come August. I still have lots to learn and a few mental humps to get over before I get to the level I expect of myself. Hey look at my rep, I'm still a newbie anyway, lol.

But I would like to apologize for not getting more pics. We were having some kind of memory problem and we were able figure out when we got home the the memory card was corrupted and would only hold 17 pics on a 518 MB card. Figures too cause I was gonna bring mine as a back-up but figured hers would be fine. Lesson learned.

Moss I had no problem with your ascent after realizing you were using a delta link. I would have climbed on it any day of the week and have climbed on much sketchier TIP before. But I would like to read some more on the leverage force of such a TIP. Treebeech if you remember were you read it please share.

And Boston I think I might take you up on the offer for this summer. I will have to look into it but was think about getting a place up near the coast for maybe 3 days. My gf can only handle but a few hours of climbing but I put her in water and I can climb til the cows come home. :biggrinbounce2: And I definitly want to check out the treeboat next time. Oh and sorry Boston that you never got to check out my rope guide. I know you asked but I had forgotten and you had already left when I was removing it.

Ol' dirty tell you buddy if he still wants my spare cube to have you PM me his address and I will send it out. With the bigger cubes I have no use for the small one.

And on a side note, I just recived my hitch climber but just a few days short for the climb.

Last edited:
Donny O,

Diltree had a pretty sweet aerial view of the premises and there were no Donny O sightings.........nor Boston Bull, or Jeff B

i forgot to thank the hosts of the climb. thanks.

020, hook a brother up with that pic of me footlocking from that site of yours.

yes OTG again and soon indeed.

moss, i need that book from you and from what i understand you might be the man i need to see about some of your artwork turned into body art.
think majestic black oak with the most perfect spread the eye ever has ever seen. and then picture it covering most of my leftside (trunk starting below beltline and reaching up towards my armpit) with the branches reaching to the chest and back.

hey diltree, next time we take that company truck of yours into the woods.

hey treebeech i think i left my firstaid kit with yours. make use of it if i dont see you. think i might upgrade to the loggerkit. (no choice now really. lol)

good times people, thanks.

and moss, about what we spoke of in the tree, let me know. i'll help you out.
woooooooooo!

hahahahahahaha

oldirty.

and adprk, you make me blush with the comparisons to PB. lol

Last edited:
left ovahs

Hey Dirty - yep got first aid kit. PM me and I'll plop it in the mail (or come to CT tree comp). ;) :D

Adprk - was it a 4' ? If so... mailing address please... :help:

The eagle has landed...
Treebeach

Hey Dirty - yep got first aid kit. PM me and I'll plop it in the mail (or come to CT tree comp). ;) :D

Adprk - was it a 4' ? If so... mailing address please... :help:

The eagle has landed...
Treebeach

I also left my friction saver it has M's on it. Speaking of eagles we saw a pair of bald ones on our way out! Cool ending to a cool day.

Back