5/12/07 central Mass rec climb report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moss, i need that book from you and from what i understand you might be the man i need to see about some of your artwork turned into body art.
think majestic black oak with the most perfect spread the eye ever has ever seen. and then picture it covering most of my leftside (trunk starting below beltline and reaching up towards my armpit) with the branches reaching to the chest and back.
Cool idea, let's talk more.

woooooooooo! hahahahahahaha
Are you sure you're not Ol'Devil?

Looking forward to the next time folks, maybe in a grove of tall white pines?
-moss

Thanks to Treebeach, Moss and OTG for organizing things and to Treebeach for hosting the GTG. I had a great time not just climbing, but hanging out at the house, walking down the trail to the tree, etc. Fabulous day all around. I wish I could do it for a living!

It was great watching guys like Climb020, Terry, Old Dirty and others not only getting into the tree quickly, but how easily they move around once in the crown. Definitely a lot more for me to learn about this hobby.

As always, I picked up a few pointers on technique as well as realizing what kinds of new gear I need. I really have to get one of those collapsable bins that the throw line goes into. I have my throw line in a plastic bag and, while very cheap, makes coiling the throw line a real hassle.

When the big white oak got crowded, Diltree and I set up shop in a smaller (~24" dbh) white oak across the trail. This prompted OTG to claim that the "worcester county boys needed their own tree." Ha! I wish I brought a camera because I could've got a cool shot up in the small white oak looking over at all the people in the big white oak.

Too bad I had to bail out a bit early and miss having some BBQ back at Treebeach's place. Hopefully next time we'll all have some more time for a bonfire and some microbrews.

A few more pics from the cell phone.

th_groupandgear.jpg

020melissa.jpg

melissa.jpg

oak.jpg

Adrpk, those pictures capture some of the early moments of the climb. Especially Climb020's ascent on the static line with ascenders.

Hey Climb020, why did you have two ropes up there at your TIP? One was the static line that you're shown climbing on and the other went through the false crotch like a DdRT set up.

Hey Climb020, why did you have two ropes up there at your TIP? One was the static line that you're shown climbing on and the other went through the false crotch like a DdRT set up.

I leave it to '020 to provide details but I believe the general rig is as follows:

1. Static line installed over branch. No need to isolate crotch.
2. Doubled arborist rope hung on pulley attached to Alpine Butterfly tied in the static line and positioned close to the TIP.
3. Static rope tie off at base of tree (holds position of doubled rope near the TIP and supports the climber)
4. Footlock up doubled rope (not the static) with double ascender on top.
5. Switch over to DdRT on the doubled rope after ascending to height in the tree.

Detail I missed was how the DdRT hitch was preinstalled to make the switchover to DdRT from footlocking seamless.

Also forgot to take a closer look at the Sterling Snakebite 10mm static line '020 was using.
-moss

Last edited:
You where close there moss. I attach my climbing line mid way to the static line with an alpine butterfly with my hitch tied so everything is set to go once I get up and I just unclip it to set-up my rope guide. On that climb I did not attach my rope guide to the static line but I had explained to treebeech about this method as well.

The reason for 2 ropes is a way of backing up the kong dual ascender without having to use an additional ascender or a prussic. If there is a different rope in each cam if one where to fail the other would back it up. As well I like having the ascent rope remain in the tree either when working or rec. climbing so that in the event of an accident there is already a line set for the rescuer. As well I will set it up with a gri-gri instead of trying it off at the base of the tree so that way If there is an accident during the ascent I can have someone lower me which would really save a lot of time and energy.

Another nice thing about this system is it makes it easy for multiple climber to get into the tree fast. I do this quite a bit at work. I will set it up and attach another climbers line to my saddle and once I get to the top and unclip my rope from the static rope, I just clip in the other climbers rope and he is all set to go as well.

I have learned my lesson about backing up my ascender. I have had a cam fail due to debris at 65' and it is enough to make you crap your pants. Luckily I was able to catch myself without falling too much. As well I know someone who has had a cam fail without a back on the kong and took a 35' fall I believe I really messed up his back but he is fine now and is actually a very good climber.

Unfortunately accidents happen and it is best to be prepared for them no matter for work or play. It is also the reason for the first aid kit and rescue whistle on my saddle. I am sure treebeech can explain as well how participating in the TCC's train you for safe working practices. I do the same thing no matter for comp, rec., or work so that way come comp time it is not like you have to really training to do something different if you follow those practices all year round.

I spoke too soon, should've let you explain it. I get it now. I just looked at the photo closely (Large image of '020 ascending) and can see that you're footlocking the static and the arborist line (Poison Ivy) at the same time. So as you say a different rope on each side of the double ascender. Takes away the hassle of installing a prusik backup above the double ascender, and your DdRT rig pre-tied waiting for you at the top, very nice.

Very glad you made it through the cam slip incident, whew!
-moss

Correct though as long as either of the ropes broke after the butterfly it would work as well. But if the static line brakes before the alpine then all bets are off. But as you saw a static line can last a few years due to the fact of minimal wear being it just hangs there and you on are actually climbing on it for a minute or two.

Oldirty if you are interested in getting better at footlocking go check out ********. There is a link for an article in the TCIA magazine some months back then explains it great. I just learned to fl just over a year ago and that article helped e 300%. Don't mean to pick on you just noticed your rocking method, which I use to do, but you tend to waste too much eneregy.

Oldirty if you are interested in getting better at footlocking go check out ********. There is a link for an article in the TCIA magazine some months back then explains it great.

There is a guy on here who wrote an article like that. Look for, murphy4trees. If you read all his posts you might learn something.:bowdown:

I received several invites to the CTCC at Hartford, but to be honest I just don't have the time right now.......

020 what is that rope hanging from your left side?

496242092_e3b6f07a39_b.jpg

I am interested in a cambium saver/redirect of something like that rope on your belt. What kind of rope and how did you splice the ring on it? And what do you use it for? Thanks

It's the new snakebite rope from sherrill. It's a 10mm static line made by sterling. It's a little stiffer then KMIII but has slightly less stretch. I used it at the NJ comp but I still am not use to the 10 mm line when doubled. Luckily I only do that once a year.

It's the new snakebite rope from sherrill. It's a 10mm static line made by sterling. It's a little stiffer then KMIII but has slightly less stretch. I used it at the NJ comp but I still am not use to the 10 mm line when doubled. Luckily I only do that once a year.

Thanks for getting back. But didn't answer my question. Here goes, I am trying to put a cambium saver/redirect together. That is what that rope on your belt looks like to me. Maybe I am on the wrong track here but this is what I am trying to do: I am working on a fat old oak tree. It has a crotch like 30' up. The branches of the crotch are to thick to be able to pull my self up into. Rather than set a new rope in the canopy I want have a 30' rope on my belt to throw up. I am thinking it would combine throw line/cambium saver.
I should start a new thread on this and offer it to all to examine and will possibly. But I am starting with you because I am wondering if that is what you use that hank of rope for. If not, what do you use that rope for?
You do know I am not talking about the rope your climbing on because I know you were using snakebite as your static line.

Latest posts

Back