5' bar with half inch chain and sprocket from an 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nature recycled

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an 090 (says made in West Germany) off of fleabay, came with a 5' bar and chain in 1/2", can anyone help me eith what it is worth? OR is it worth keeping? Bought the saw for milling slabs, have a cannon 6' with the 404, thinking it is obviously wise to stick with the 404. Was wondering, can I get a rim sprocket that can be swapped out with the 404 sprocket with reasonable ease? Or do I sell it off and stick with the 404 for all bars? It is in descent shape as of now.

Thanks

Man I just got a big bar and some 1/2 chain. Its huge. To much Kerf or cut width to me. 404 much better. Saw working less and cheaper chain to buy more with 404. Also not losing as much wood per cut. I would sell and buy 404 setup thats what I am currently doing.

That is what I am leaning towards. Need to go measure with some calipers to see if I can use the 5' bar with the 404 chain. Pedal the chain and sprocket.

I think that you will find that 404 will not work on 1/2 bar!! bar , chain, and sprocket must all match!---I like narrow small chain.--makes better cut, (not fast, but smoother).---Long bar may limit how narrow you can go. thanks; sonny580

I kind of figured that it would not work, just wishful thinking. I have a 6' and 42" in 404 so I already plan on changing out the sprocket. Still going to go and take the calipers to the two with some more of that wishful thinking. If not I'll sell the 1/2" bar, chain, and sprocket to put towards another 5' bar. Narrow would be nice, but breaking a chain in that much wood, would not be fun, they're not cheap. Not too worried about losing an inch in something I would put a 5 or 6' bar through.

A couple things to think about, is the 5' bar a hard nose or roller tip?

If it is a hard nose, you are good on that point, with a roller tip, the tip sprocket needs to match the pitch, is the nose replaceable? Maybe you can find a .404 nose for it.

What is the gauge? Is the gauge the same as the .404 chain you want to use?

If it is a hard nose , or a replaceable roller nose AND the same gauge, then I would think after changing the drive sprocket you would be good to go.

Doug

So I took a new 404 and fit it nicely into the old bar and took the old chain and fit it into the new bar.. Can I assume that is enough to get and run a new 404 (with replaced sprocket) with the old 5' hardnose?

A new bar should start with new or near new chain.
If this is not done there's a greater chance the chain will tip over in the cut and not cut straight.
A new chain can be used in an old bar but the bar should be dressed and checked for wear so that the chain not only fit but it has to be snug.
If the groove is too sloppy for the new chain, the chain may also tip over in the cut and not cut straight.
The bar groove can be tightened up using a bar rail closing tool.
I made my own tool and it looks like this
Finished1.jpg

Back