50 special vacuum pressure test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck shelly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys, I am rebuilding a 50s and I just tested it for press and vacuum. it held press great but vacuum I went to 10 inches and it slowly came down to 6 and held for 30 sec and dropped to 5 for another 30 sec. what do you guys think? thanks chuck

Doesn’t hurt to find the location of the leak while you’re there. If it is the seals I’d just replace them, then you can relax and forget about it :)

It’s tempting to just call it fine with a leak, but in reality you are just setting yourself up for problems. If you don’t want to do the seals now - not in the mood or you’re frustrated etc have a rest, put the saw to one side until you are ready, nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn’t use it or you’ll end up destroying the engine. I’m learning to slow down and not rush the process and i feel much better for it

Yes find the leak to know what and where it is with spray bottle of soapy water.

You might under pressure ( and vaccum) rotate the crank and wiggle each end to see if leaks faster. Could be the intake boot or??
thanks for the reply, new boot and new impulse grommet. chuck

Back