500i recalled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROFL ROFL ROFL..........

All my Stils are 0XX saws.............ROFL ROFL........!!!!

P.S. most I got for ...........Free!!! They all run nice. NO DEALER SUPPORT!!!!

Damm Stihl dealers don't understand them any way!!!

P.P.S. When yure MS 500 craps out, I'll come over with my 038 to clean up you're house from storm damage........

Speaking of 038's....I don't know about the MS500i's, but the TS500i's have an 038 (1119 series) rod in them......
View attachment 777541
I've seen several TS500's that have close to a thousand hours of run time stored in their computers.
1000 hours is pretty impressive on a tool like that. How were they?

That's pretty tuff talk from a fan of a saw from a country known for cheese and meatballs. And the cheese isn't so great. Its full of holes!!!!
Spent a bit of time in Scandinavia. Never ate cheese with holes. Are you sure you're not thinking of Helvetia?

1000 hours is pretty impressive on a tool like that. How were they?

I cannot speak to his experience, but my guys liked the one as a demonstrator unit. It cut pipe (concrete, steel, ductile iron and plastic) steel cable, rebar, concrete slabs and the occasional piece of structural steel when a torch wasn’t around.

They liked the simplicity of the operation of it. Just prime and pull. Most cut off machines there’s choke, on/off, etc, with multiple settings in multiple locations. They also really liked the water compensating system so they weren’t getting water while the saw was idling.

What they didn’t like was that the saw was physically bigger, albeit not much heavier than the TS 420s they were used to using. What I didn’t like was the thought of shelling out an extra $400 for each saw, of which we have several.

Speaking of 038's....I don't know about the MS500i's, but the TS500i's have an 038 (1119 series) rod in them......
View attachment 777541
I've seen several TS500's that have close to a thousand hours of run time stored in their computers.

How do you know?

You can't buy crank parts from Stihl.

I've rebuilt single cyl cranks, when you could get the parts for dirt bikes. PITA, need, press, V-blocks and magnetic dial indicator to make sure there is no runout, when pressed back together.

If the spark termination occurs before the fuel solenoid closes there would be a possibility of fuel mixture being dumped into the cylinder then out into the muffler.
The yellow flickering flame indicates an under oxidized combustion, which seems unlikely if the hot engine is spinning without a spark.
If there was an air-fuel ignition in the muffler, I would had expected a combustion pop from the ignition.
My guess is that the the fuel from the no spark with fuel condition vaporized and was expelled, leaving the oil behind in the muffler which later ignited.

How do you know?

I've rebuilt single cyl cranks, when you could get the parts for dirt bikes. PITA, need, press, V-blocks and magnetic dial indicator to make sure there is no runout, when pressed back together.

1119 is the family. Its imprinted into the beam. Most 038 parts start with 1119

Seems like they had problems with demand and supply and stopped shipping to other markets... The saw (also the US version) is sold in Germany according to the German forum.

How do you know?

20191205_174803.jpg
1119 signifies 038 rod.
They utilize earlier parts sometimes.

If the spark termination occurs before the fuel solenoid closes their would be a possibility of fuel mixture being dumped into the cylinder then out into the muffler.
The yellow flickering flame indicates an under oxidized combustion, which seems unlikely if the hot engine is spinning without a spark.
If there was an air-fuel ignition in the muffler, I would had expected a combustion pop from the ignition.
My guess is that the the fuel from the no spark with fuel condition vaporized and was expelled, leaving the oil behind in the muffler which later ignited.
That saw might very well be modded too. -Not trying to defend a design.
Unlike an older saw, there is normally no spark during deceleration, nor any fuel being injected.
I noticed this by accident one time when I started a TS500i with an inline spark tester hooked up. The spark kicks back in just above idle speed.
If a saw has a faulty injector that is dribbling fuel, I could possibly cause what happens in that video.
Of the ones I see that leak in TS500i's, it is almost always a cut worn into the rubber that seals the injector solenoid tip. At 9,200 rpm, the solenoid is pretty much a continual vibration.
Just my speculation; but, if the leaking injector is under 4psi pressure, adding the induction vacuum could exacerbate the normally minor fuel leakage, and cause an overly rich condition like the one in the video. Then, the sudden reemergence of the spark at idle speed might ignite the fuel vapor sneaking out of the muffler. Other factors may be the fuel & air temp, fuel octane...etc, etc.
I've never seen a saw self ignite like the one in that video that before.
I did accidently catch a saw on fire once when I was blowing compressed air inside a spark plug hole, while spinning the engine, while yanking starter rope to clear the crankcase from a defective carburetor. I had accidently left the switch "on", and a spark plug stuck in the boot.
I did see a BR600 continue to run after shut off, with the correct Bosch spark plug one time.

1000 allhours is pretty impressive on a tool like that. How were they?
Component life all boils down to the conditions that the saw ran under for those many hours.
Trust me, any good manufacturer torture tests their products to reveal any design problems or shortcomings prior to production as best as they can.
I have seen a few TS500i crank rod bearings fail, but not as many as TS420's. Then again, there are about a hundred times as many TS420's as TS500's out there, and they've been produced a good decade longer too.
Sorry, I'm not trying to highjack a thread.
Oops; somewhere a covert computer just clicked on; by me typing the word "highjack". Lol...

Does this mean it’s open season on dumpster diving for MS500 at the dealerships?
Just wondering what happens to recalled sawsauges

In the past, like with the original 661 'not a recall' recall, ALL Saws were returned to Stihl in Germany. No exception. All USA and UK and EU saws were sent back to the fatherland. This 'not a recall' seems odd, as there are LOTS of 500i beta test saw videos on YouTube from Europe. They beat the snot out of them and they just kept running. One guy never cleaned the air filter or did anything to it other than run it hard for a month straight in commercial falling. Still started and ran just fine.

Ding dang 'recall'. I want one of these bad boy saws. FI baby... I also want a Yoda Baby doll for my niece, but they are not gonna be out until May. So this Christmas we will be deprived here this year. Maybe I will just go buy a new Corvette? Only $60,000 for the low end model. No sales tax in Oregon...

Back