500i sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500i with a bark box sounds like a vintage speedway two stroke bike, I love it. I cut a heap of firewood on a friends property over the weekend and he got all nostalgic over it, couldn’t believe it was coming from a fuel injected chainsaw.

ive been thinking of getting a 462 and modding it (west coast saw 4pt dogs, and bark box)

should I get a 500i instead?

It depends on what you’re doing. My truck has both on it and my 500i is my go to. I’ve ran mine almost every work day since I bought it in may( I work 5-6 days A week). The weight difference is negligible, especially when you’re taking into account the added power and throttle response. I’ve added larger dogs and a bark box and it’s a complete animal. The 462 only wears a 20” and is my climbing saw if I need something bigger than a top handle.

I recently removed a large cottonwood with the leaders split at the base around 47”DBH and it showed no signs of struggle wearing a 32. It’s replaced my 661 for most larger jobs I’ve done recently. The only downside is the filtration. Max flow hasn’t come out with a kit yet but the 661 filter does fit in the housing from what I’ve seen. It also DRINKS fuel. We are looking at replacing our 462’s when they die with 500’s.

I just bought one too and I put on the larger dogs with a bark box. Filtration is a concern and found on another forum that Egan Performance Saws have come up with an air filter box that fits a custom unifilter which is a foam and oil setup. They are back-ordered of course but only a 2-6 week wait. I ordered one. It's got to be better than stock. Photos taken from another forum. Fits under the OEM cover.

Attachments

• s500afxxxx.jpg
    s500afxxxx.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back