• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

A buddy of mine is looking for a 500i and has called all of the dealers within 100 mile radius but hasn't had any luck / most are backordered or have waitlists. I see reports on here of lots of 500is on the shelf throughout the country - does it go against Stihl's rules for a dealer out of state to mail-order ship a saw, or is he going to have to make a road trip and just continue to call in a wider and wider radius until he finds one?

Thank you.

The local dealer to me had 3 of them the other day. I'm near Poughkeepsie new york. My dealer allows me to buy equipment and put it in someone else's name for warranty. Like I'm buying it as a gift

99% sure Stihl frowns upon dealers sending new saws mail order.

I too have been trying to find a 500i...and according to most dealers around here they're not selling ANY 500i in this 'locale', being the midwest. Only the northwest and south apparently. Seems dumb...but whatever...

One of the dealers says he's calling his Stihl guy weekly asking when he can get orders in for 500i's since he has quite a few people on a wait list for them...

99% sure Stihl frowns upon dealers sending new saws mail order.

I too have been trying to find a 500i...and according to most dealers around here they're not selling ANY 500i in this 'locale', being the midwest. Only the northwest and south apparently. Seems dumb...but whatever...

One of the dealers says he's calling his Stihl guy weekly asking when he can get orders in for 500i's since he has quite a few people on a wait list for them...
Where in the Midwest are you? My local hardware store has had one on the shelf for a few months now. They also have a 461 with a heavy layer of dust on it, so I doubt either of them are going anywhere very soon.

There's one near me. It has, I think, a 32" Stihl lightweight bar & is priced at $1400. If they let me put a different name for warranty, I would pick it up & ship it.

What's the rush? Order one and wait a bit.

Seems dealers keep about nothing in stock anymore. Last year, I even had to order and wait for bar nuts. Even having a chain put together for the MS880 is a two visit process.

Sending one out for a guy tomorrow. If anyone wants one pm me. You can contact my local dealer directly and pay over the phone and set up warranty. Then I can pick it up and ship it. They also have the ms400 in stock

The local dealer to me had 3 of them the other day. I'm near Poughkeepsie new york. My dealer allows me to buy equipment and put it in someone else's name for warranty. Like I'm buying it as a gift

So strange, I’m in Syracuse not far from you and have had one on order since October. The distributor just tells the dealer you’ll get it when you get it. And I’ve checked with other local dealers and they have the same issue getting them.

Supposedly stihl is having a problem getting the micro processors for some saws. The dealers are getting random trickles of saws. My local shop orders dozens at a time. For all I know they may be sold out by the end of the week and no eta on the next drop. But he had a few left this morning

I know these saws are hard to get, but northern tool in Beaumont, TX has had several and keep getting more when they sell out. They had 3 500's and 3 461's on the shelf last week. I believe they were 1329 or 1359 for the 500 and 1009.99 for the 461. Looking at the fuel tank handle stickers (June/July 2020) they were all bought at the beginning of all this covid stuff, so I would imagine that they put in a large order to fill their warehouse, and are trickling them out. I was debating it, but they dont have the R model.

Just bought one yesterday. Ive seen 4 on the shelves at 3 local dealers since Friday afternoon. There would have been 5 but a gentleman decided to put one in a cart and push it out the front door recently WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT

Supposedly stihl is having a problem getting the micro processors for some saws. The dealers are getting random trickles of saws. My local shop orders dozens at a time. For all I know they may be sold out by the end of the week and no eta on the next drop. But he had a few left this morning
Wonder if those are from China?

Wonder it those are from China?
Our local dealer has a few huskys and normally a decent selection of stihls up to 70cc(right now very few), I asked them if they had any specials on the huskys and they said, "you don't want a husky, they are all made in china" :lol: . You know we had to take a walk and look at a few stihls after I showed him the made in Sweden :laugh:. I had another large husky dealer I told the 395's were all made in Brazil now tell me they weren't and proved to show me the one they just got in, wasn't long before he looked like :surprised3::oops::eek::(:rare2:, meanwhile I was:popcorn2::laughing:, fun times.
I haven't seen a 500 in a store here yet, but I know where I can snag up a 661 if needed, and I was told the standard carb 661 is supposed to be here in the states too, which may be a nice option that's more available with the chip production issues.

Our local dealer has a few huskys and normally a decent selection of stihls up to 70cc(right now very few), I asked them if they had any specials on the huskys and they said, "you don't want a husky, they are all made in china" :lol: . You know we had to take a walk and look at a few stihls after I showed him the made in Sweden :laugh:. I had another large husky dealer I told the 395's were all made in Brazil now tell me they weren't and proved to show me the one they just got in, wasn't long before he looked like :surprised3::oops::eek::(:rare2:, meanwhile I was:popcorn2::laughing:, fun times.
I haven't seen a 500 in a store here yet, but I know where I can snag up a 661 if needed, and I was told the standard carb 661 is supposed to be here in the states too, which may be a nice option that's more available with the chip production issues.
What other saws are being made in Brazil or is it just the 395? 390?

What other saws are being made in Brazil or is it just the 395? 390?
The 395 is the only one I'm aware of that's being sold in our market, but they were producing 372oe's and a few others not long ago. Many countries have saws available that are not available here.
Welcome to posting :).

Back