50cc saw with best power to weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have not seen any sub 10 lb saws unless you go way back to the pioneers, and videos of their performance are uninspiring. Is there anything out there in the 10-10 3/4 pound range that really stands out?

When I bought mine a few years back the spec was under 11 lbs. Still go out and try them for yourself I've been fortunate to own or run most of them stock and later ported. If a few ounces of saw specs bother you, I dunno what to say. I run saws on feel not paper specs. Even an 026 though less power, is pretty nice handling and plenty light.

When I bought mine a few years back the spec was under 11 lbs. Still go out and try them for yourself I've been fortunate to own or run most of them stock and later ported. If a few ounces of saw specs bother you, I dunno what to say. I run saws on feel not paper specs. Even an 026 though less power, is pretty nice handling and plenty light.
The op asked for 10 pound saws, not me. I would love to have a 346, never been fortunate enough to own one.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

My Jonsered 2153 (Same saw as Husky 346) weighs 15lb 1 oz with a 16in bar and full of fuel and oil.

My Husky 141 weighs 13lb 3oz with a 16in bar and full of fuel and oil.

For the work I do with a 16in bar I take the 141 almost every time.

I don't even use a 50cc much as bending with an 18" bar hurts my back much more than using a heavier 372 with 28" lightweight bar allowing me reach. Even a 36" bar on this saw, seem to hurt me less. I'm getting older and in the last two years am starting to feel saw weight more. Even with that I shy away from most short bar saws. If I have to reach above me, something I like a 200t with 16" bar works well on fruit tree pruning.

I don't even use a 50cc much as bending with an 18" bar hurts my back much more than using a heavier 372 with 28" lightweight bar allowing me reach. Even a 36" bar on this saw, seem to hurt me less. I'm getting older and in the last two years am starting to feel saw weight more. Even with that I shy away from most short bar saws. If I have to reach above me, something I like a 200t with 16" bar works well on fruit tree pruning.

Stooping is a back killer.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I own and ran a 353 on smaller wood. Looking at the saw specs the husky 257/357 power wise seems the way to go? Not sure about the newer saws.
The 346xp or 257/357 seems the ones.

The weight of the saws never bothered me. After running 2100/2101’s most of the time everything else is light weights. I still have my man card.

I never let the weight of the saw bother me. I don’t stand there posing for sports illustrated I keep it in the wood. im Crippled but still can run them bucking. I can still pick them up. Even my sons can use the big saws too. It’s the cutting speed in big wood the big power heads rule. Those 24” diameter oaks don’t jump in the truck.

My back pain is from a kidney stone that’s the size of my kidney. They can’t operate. My upper body is ok. My first doctor made a bad call 20 years ago.

550XP is in the 10 lbs range and is a fantastic saw. Also the 545XP or just the 545...though not quite 50cc.

You may have to compromise a tad bit on weight or Displacement

The jred CS2245, CS2250

Husky 450, 450 rancher, 445

LOSTS of choices in that range.

I think you should demo the saws your thinking of buying.

I hate saws that cut slow. The real cutters start at 60 cc ++. I do understand the weight. I had three different saw sizes I could tackle any wood diameter. Home owners and guys who make a living have different needs.

I believe Echo 510P is the lightest saw today in 50 cc class.
Yes, they can pull 3/8 LGX all day.
Will also be priced below Stihl 261.

The Tanaka tcs51 wouldn't be a bad choice either at 11lbs and can be had for less than 350, full metal case and bar cover. If you could still get them in the u.s. the redmax g5000 packs a hard punch.

550XP is in the 10 lbs range and is a fantastic saw. Also the 545XP or just the 545...though not quite 50cc.

You may have to compromise a tad bit on weight or Displacement

The jred CS2245, CS2250

Husky 450, 450 rancher, 445

LOSTS of choices in that range.

545 and 550xp are the same displacement. In fact they share the same cylinder with different transfer covers.

Latest posts

Back