511A Grinder - Improvements / Tweaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Oregon 511AX, which I was thought was the top of the line.
Define "top of the line". STIHL grinders go for $500 -$600? Some Silveys were over $1,000. And the Franzen goes for more than I paid for any car.

The Italian made, Oregon 511 types grinders are the standard/reference I use for all saw chain grinders. Probably the most popular style world-wide, if you count all the variations, clones, private labels, etc. Used by individuals and shops. Does not mean that it can't be improved.

Some guys on this site tear apart a $1,600 chain saw as soon as they get it to make 'improvements'.

You got a pretty good grinder at a pretty good price that probably works pretty good out-of-the-box. This thread is about sharing tips and tweaks to get the most out of it, if you want a little bit more.

Philbert

I checked in with my dealer and am waiting on a price for the entire support post/spring/chain stop assembly. It appears to be Total/Tecomec part number TMK 00200334 'Chain Hold Kit'. I was waiting until I received one (assuming the price did not make me gag), and verified the dimensions, before suggesting this to others, but there is the number if anyone else is interested.

Philbert

Chances are that your parts will arrive well before I make up anything.
I am curious about pricing as well !!
Will be watching for your update when you get them ............... thanks Philbert !

I checked in with my dealer and am waiting on a price for the entire support post/spring/chain stop assembly. It appears to be Total/Tecomec part number TMK 00200334 'Chain Hold Kit'.
I am curious about pricing as well !! Will be watching for your update when you get them ...............

Quoted $70 from Total (US distributor for Tecomec)! Would be a simple swap, but . . . .

I have a list of other projects to complete first, and this would be a nice improvement, but is not 'mission critical'. I think that with a piece of 1-inch square tubing from the hardware store I can Dremel/hacksaw/etc. out the pieces without welding. Heck, I can probably made them out of some hardwood scraps. I promise to post photos if I do either/or!

Philbert

A Couple of Helpful Videos

Lots of sharpening videos on YouTube. I thought that these 2 were pretty good. They describe the newer Oregon 520-120 chain grinder (replaces the 511AX grinder, which replaced the 511A), but pretty much apply to any grinder of this type, aside from a few feature differences between models. Both videos by Oregon.

(Official)
*Set up

(Official)
*Use

Philbert

Spending money to make a good grinder is money well spent in my book.
Except that the 511 is already a good grinder, without having to spend $70 for an "upgrade" that wont make it grind better.
I still have my stock arm / chain stop on mine and it works fantastically.

I put that $70 towards a CBN wheel, and its way better than the pink wheels that I was using; now thats money well spent in my book

Hey Mopar, does that CBN wheel negate the need for a reversible motor?
There really isnt any "need" to reverse the motor, but IMHO, it does help to be able to reverse the motor no matter what wheel is on the grinder

My understanding is that the Maxx grinder lets you grind both sides the same, without reversing motor direction. It has a larger grinder head tilt range, and users reverse the chain direction to grind cutters on the other side.

Anybody with experience to confirm or correct this?

Philbert

Except that the 511 is already a good grinder, without having to spend $70 for an "upgrade" that wont make it grind better.
I still have my stock arm / chain stop on mine and it works fantastically.

I put that $70 towards a CBN wheel, and its way better than the pink wheels that I was using; now thats money well spent in my book

Saws and grinders are a hobby of mine and firewood sales pay for all of it. $70 is pretty inconsequential compared to other hobbies.

Imported from another thread: grinders mounted on cleats that drop into a slot between the bench and a mounted rub rail.
. . . managed to get the new Super Jolly mounted to a 2x4 so I can put it on the bench or take it off in a matter of seconds. Makes it so I can work on the saws on the same bench as I grind on, just throw the grinders underneath the bench.View attachment 491661View attachment 491662View attachment 491663
Grinder Cleat 2.jpg

Grinder Cleat 1.jpg

I liked this idea for now because I don't need to build another bench, just attached the "rub rail" like on a trailer to the front of the bench.
It overhangs nicely and will allow me to move them around until I get a setup that works for me.
As it is it seems to be working well with the raker grinder against the wall and the 3/8" next to it. The .325 is the one I use the least and also right next to the vice so it gets taken off the bench most often for saw work or hand filing in the vice.

Philbert

There really isnt any "need" to reverse the motor, but IMHO, it does help to be able to reverse the motor no matter what wheel is on the grinder
Thanks Mopar, that's what I was thinking too! If the CBN wheel will grind away the chrome plating better than the pink wheels, I might not need to mod my grinder so it can be reversed. But, then again, a reversible grinder will be pretty cool! I already bought the switch, so I guess I will move ahead with the mod.

My understanding is that the Maxx grinder lets you grind both sides the same, without reversing motor direction. It has a larger grinder head tilt range, and users reverse the chain direction to grind cutters on the other side.
Anybody with experience to confirm or correct this?
Philbert
Yes, although I don't own a Maxx, I did research them and they work just as you described. If you look close at the chain rails they tilt downward on the ends so the grinder motor will clear the chain when tilted left. IMHO its a pretty neat design indeed! Just a little too pricey for my wallet or I would own one! Instead, I will make my NT unit reversible and get me a good face shield!

Back