52" bar or 60" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been alaska milling with a 36" bar and have some bigger trees coming along soon.

Do I want to get a 60" bar or a 52" bar? Cost is relatively similar.

I will be running the bar on a 3120.

I am leaning towards the 60"

Thoughts or advice?

Go with the 60", SeMoTony taught me that if you already have a Granberg mill and also have the EZ Rails, in the 5' length, all you need is the round 60" Handle to build a 60" mill. The handle was about $40, I can dig up the part# if you are interested. I haven't used it yet, but I do have al the parts to build it though, and the 60" Bar as well.

I haven't had time to load the pictures yet, but about a week ago I did get to do a little milling with the 36" mill on some Cedar we had cut down.

May not have been anything Fancy like Oak or Cherry, but seeing they were trees we wanted removed any way, they were Great to practice on.

A 3120 milling Cedar, just a "Bit" of overkill, but it was Fun :)

Doug :cheers:

Go with the 60", SeMoTony taught me that if you already have a Granberg mill and also have the EZ Rails, in the 5' length, all you need is the round 60" Handle to build a 60" mill. The handle was about $40, I can dig up the part# if you are interested. I haven't used it yet, but I do have al the parts to build it though, and the 60" Bar as well.

I haven't had time to load the pictures yet, but about a week ago I did get to do a little milling with the 36" mill on some Cedar we had cut down.

May not have been anything Fancy like Oak or Cherry, but seeing they were trees we wanted removed any way, they were Great to practice on.

My granberg came with 24" rails. (was an extra $25 with the 2095 I bought) I made it 40" by getting 1" square aluminum tubing and drilling it where I wanted the cross members to mount. I am going to do the same for the 62" bar, but thinking I will 1 x2 inch stock this time.

I did buy the new milled cross members to replace the old style ones, as the mill was slightly off due the imperfections in the old cross members.

Cedar is beautiful wood! I've slabbed quite a few species. In my opinion, no such thing as ugly or junk unless it's really rotted. That's what makes it fun. Every log is different!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Back