542B bobcat...won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We pulled the fuel tank and the line inside the tank had fallen off. There was a split in the tube. Still plan to go through the fuel system maybe add an electric fuel pump since I'm sure all the components of the system are original. They have to be getting tired from all the sitting this machine does.
If you dont use it much put some non ethanol gas in it.

This thing is acting up again. Used it all winter for snow removal. On March 11th we were using it to move blocks for splitting and it acted like it was running out of fuel. Trying to restart it the unit would crank and crank. Installed a primer bulb. If I squeeze the bulb while dad turns the key it will fire up and run for 1 to 5 minutes until it dies again. We have to repeat the primer bulb to get it going again.

I replaced the pickup in tank, new carb kit, fuel filter and new lines before winter. Since March 11th it has sat in the garage. Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump sinced I didn't touch it last fall with an electric one this weekend. The fuel pump is probably the original one. The unit will fire up right, run for about 5 to 10 secs and then dies.. If I try to start the unit right away it just cranks. Turn the key off and fuel pump off (on a switch) wait for 10 to 20 secs turn pump back on turn the key it will start right up again. The process then repeats itself.

Pulled carb bowl and it is full of fuel and the needle moves freely/shuts off fuel. Any ideas?

This thing is acting up again. Used it all winter for snow removal. On March 11th we were using it to move blocks for splitting and it acted like it was running out of fuel. Trying to restart it the unit would crank and crank. Installed a primer bulb. If I squeeze the bulb while dad turns the key it will fire up and run for 1 to 5 minutes until it dies again. We have to repeat the primer bulb to get it going again.

I replaced the pickup in tank, new carb kit, fuel filter and new lines before winter. Since March 11th it has sat in the garage. Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump sinced I didn't touch it last fall with an electric one this weekend. The fuel pump is probably the original one. The unit will fire up right, run for about 5 to 10 secs and then dies.. If I try to start the unit right away it just cranks. Turn the key off and fuel pump off (on a switch) wait for 10 to 20 secs turn pump back on turn the key it will start right up again. The process then repeats itself.

Pulled carb bowl and it is full of fuel and the needle moves freely/shuts off fuel. Any ideas?
Have a mechanic test the fuel pressure with a gauge.

I have a new problem with the 542B. I loaned it to a neighbor who drove it 2miles to his house, used it for 30 mins or so to move dirt and then drove it back the 2miles. I get grinding when I turn with the stick controls now. Hydraulic fluid is clear with no burnt smell. Did a drive motor burn up or gear motor burn up? I do not know my bobcat terminology.

Back