55 intake sealing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I’ve got a 55 rancher with the famous rubber intake that I just can’t get to seal. The rubber isn’t old or brittle and iam to stubborn to go support my overpriced Husqvarna dealer on a new one.
yes I’ve read the old threads....

so has anyone ever tried using 3bond 1184 on the rubber boot to plastic? Iam very tempted to try. Supposed to stay flexible to -40, ok for gasoline. Sure next u take it apart you will have to replace it, but so what.

3bond did not work out for me. Suspecting hairline crack in the plastic block put I just can’t see that it’s there.

upload_2020-2-25_9-55-56.jpeg

This is the area that keeps leaking. I didn’t think to take pics of when it was bubbling. It is coming out where the rubber meets the plastic.
gonna order new rubber intake, even though this one looks fine.

No clamps, right?

So, the concept is the springiness of the rubber fits tight against the cylinder intake and the plastic baffle-thing. Right?

I would say, your move to try a new rubber intake sounds right. Has anyone added a clamp there?

usually they leak because the threads strip in the bulkhead and the carb loosens, or the pulse grommet in cylinder is bad. that little rubber “pipe” was used on millions of saws probably and leaks are not common there

is that a new plastic bulkhead the carb is threaded into?
Bulkhead is original, threads r still good. Iall get both new rubbers and update you guys on that.
At least the engine doesn’t look like it got damage. Came into my shop as a trade and was having other problems but I decided to air test since these saws r notorious for leaks in that general area. Glad I did.

That is the weak link on these saws. I hope you get it right because I love my 55. Can't kill it lol.

Got the saw in trade for some work I did on a different saw, owner was fed up with it. Turns out it had a faulty stop switch, both positions were off....just decided to leak test before I sold it. Nice clean unit.

Back