• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

55 link stretch

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
the 55 link chains for the 170s stretch out after a while and exceed the adjustment max....pita
anything wrong with drilling another hole in the bar next to the original for a little more screw travel??

Andyshine77

Andyshine77

Tree Freak
And check your sprocket and bar for wear, I would also guess you're running a dull chain. So yes get a new chain, sharpen it regularly and properly and make sure the drive system is in good shape.

NIP Group
blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
Might be over tensioning the chain at the start, and its best to relax the tension when through for the day. I had a problem with a customer and beam saw along these lines. 175 links of 404 full comp. They running the tension so high that they were over heating the blade as witnessed by the burn marks on the blade, stretching the chains out that I had remove 3 drive links to make useful again. I went through everything else on the unit as well before I told them it was operator error for the problem. They had to replace the blade as well ( $900). 7 ft+ long loops takes awhile to sharpen these.

Andyshine77

Andyshine77

Tree Freak
The burn marks on the BAR is actually from the heat treating of the BARS rails. You'd have to get the BAR rail red hot for it to discolor. $900 Bar well that's just a bit pricey.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those are the PMM chains, 3/8 low profile, and a .043 driver.
Pretty effective at cutting, but there ain't a lotta steel in the chain. My answer would be to remove a drivelink.
That 30cc engine must be running really strong to stretch the chain!

Franny K

Franny K

xyz
The oil input hole will not connect to the oil input slot. Did you check before asking the question? Might be able to get a little more.

Bar tail to sprocket distance becoming excessive?

As long as you stay 3/8 inch or so from a spot weld normal drill bits will work. They can be sharpened. Slow,oil.

abs111999

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
I use Oregon 3/8 .050 lp. Not the micro crap. Regardless of how hard brush can be on a chain this setup needs 54 plus a half link.
My chains are razor sharp.
When I cut firewood with my 034 it would shock someone to see how fast it cuts.
Its a pita to pull a link. Another expense buying replacement plates. What size plates are the Oregon 91?

NSEric

NSEric

ArboristSite Operative
I'd get a 54 link chain.
Grind the tail of the bar down a little until its fits, it will only be an issue when brand new once used a little it'll fit great.