555 HUSKY, buy it or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies and info. Sounds like nobody no exactly what makes an xp on this chassis, however the guts seem to be the same, handling and durability should be the same.

Handling and durability will be the same. You cannot convert this saw to an XP without a ton of effort.

Porting and transfer covers are different. Computer program for carb is different. And I think the 562 gets a bigger oiler simply to run the 28" bar they say it will run.

If you want a 555, buy it. If you want a 562, buy it. But don't buy one thinking you can flip it like a 365/372. There is a very noticeable power difference between the two. Other than that, same sites.

Have no intention of modifying my new saw in any way, at this time. If I wanted a 562xp would have bought it. If choice was available would have chosen a 560xp. Just would like to know the differences and like most of us older woodcutters I would like a 10 pound 70cc saw! I have an appreciation for old tech, as I like to fix and maintain stuff myself, however lighter, smoother, autotune, faster than a speeding bullet:love1:if it keeps on cuttin for years sounds good to me!

Hey Everyone,

Been since late fall since I posted on here. Thought this thread was a good opportunity to jump in since it sounds a lot like my own situation. I was looking for a stihl in the fall but as it turns out I ended up liking my local husky dealer and he's a LOT closer. Also, over the winter I've saved enough to buy new instead of looking at used stuff like I was in the fall. I've got it pretty much narrowed down to the 555 and the 562xp. I don't cut a ton of wood (3-4 cords a year) but I do a good amount of felling and some of those are biggish trees (up to 36"). I don't want to be underpowered for the bucking of the larger stuff but also don't want to buy more saw than I need. Also I feel a little odd saying this but the color scheme of the 562xp bothers me lol. Why aint it all orange?!
At any rate, which saw would you all say would fit the bill better? I don't mind spending the extra for the xp if it's really what I need but I am not looking to impress anyone either so if the 555 will do I'd just as soon keep the change.

Hey Everyone,

Been since late fall since I posted on here. Thought this thread was a good opportunity to jump in since it sounds a lot like my own situation. I was looking for a stihl in the fall but as it turns out I ended up liking my local husky dealer and he's a LOT closer. Also, over the winter I've saved enough to buy new instead of looking at used stuff like I was in the fall. I've got it pretty much narrowed down to the 555 and the 562xp. I don't cut a ton of wood (3-4 cords a year) but I do a good amount of felling and some of those are biggish trees (up to 36"). I don't want to be underpowered for the bucking of the larger stuff but also don't want to buy more saw than I need. Also I feel a little odd saying this but the color scheme of the 562xp bothers me lol. Why aint it all orange?!
At any rate, which saw would you all say would fit the bill better? I don't mind spending the extra for the xp if it's really what I need but I am not looking to impress anyone either so if the 555 will do I'd just as soon keep the change.

It sounds like you could use something larger than 60cc, so at least get te 562xp if it is between those! :msp_wink:

Hey Everyone,

Well I'll be puttin my little 555 into a few medium sized 12-18" oaks Saturday, let you know how mine cuts, however sounds like you need as much saw as you can handle.

Thanks, guys. Those are just the pushes I needed to make a decicion :msp_wink:.
Moto, I would still like to hear how it goes.

Last edited:
I think if you are in 30" and up wood a lot falling it I would want a 70cc running a 24" bar or even a 28".

Yeah that's true a 70cc saw would come in handy but this is going to be my all around saw so versatility is a consideration. I've taken down most of the really large trees on my property to open up pasture so after I work these up I will only occasionally have to buck up wood that big. The majority of the standing stuff I have left is under 24" but there is enough of the large stuff dropped that I will be busy with it this year. In the future however, I don't plan on letting anything get more than 12"-18" diameter. Bucking up and splitting large stuff sucks.

saw troll in your estimation what are the differences in an xp and the new 555? please expound on the 555 shortcomings in relation to it not being xp. thank you

Halv an hp (+) less, not the same trigger responce/accelleration, and willingness to cut at high rpm. Less torque at low rpm as well.

Two tanks through it yesterday afternoon. First thoughts, smoothness is it's best feature for me, for the first time I understand SawToll's mantra of better balance, flipping it around for different cuts is easier and not just because of weight (I know when I was younger and stronger this would not have mattered ), revs very quick, has better grunt than my 346 or 61(but not better than 044), takes more pulls to start than my other saws-so far (hopefully this gets better).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Two tanks through it yesterday afternoon. First thoughts, smoothness is it's best feature for me, for the first time I understand SawToll's mantra of better balance, flipping it around for different cuts is easier and not just because of weight (I know when I was younger and stronger this would not have mattered ), revs very quick, has better grunt than my 346 or 61(but not better than 044), takes more pulls to start than my other saws-so far (hopefully this gets better).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Good you're liking it so far. Husky does have the balance thing down! And smoothness for sure.
Hopefully it starts quicker as it breaks in, but my 562 is 3-4 pulls cold and 1 pull warm.

Thanks for the update, motofishman :smile2:. Good to hear you are happy with it so far. Any bogging down at all in the stuff you've tackled? I'm betting the starting thing will be something you will figure out like plug gap or something. Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper.

I visited the husky dealer today to have another look at the saws and one thing I have to say is that the 555 felt nicest in my hands. Its supposed to be only 4 oz. lighter than the 562 but there felt like a bigger difference than that to me. Maybe its the layout? The 562 obviously looks like the better package though. Anyway, the 555 was $610 and the 562 xp was $700. Gonna visit the Jred guy once more before I make my purchase though, they always felt real comfortable to me. On that note, opinions on the best fit in the Jred line?

Last edited:
I visited the husky dealer today to have another look at the saws and one thing I have to say is that the 555 felt nicest in my hands. Its supposed to be only 4 oz. lighter than the 562 but there felt like a bigger difference than that to me. Maybe its the layout? The 562 obviously looks like the better package though. Anyway, the 555 was $610 and the 562 xp was $700. Gonna visit the Jred guy once more before I make my purchase though, they always felt real comfortable to me. On that note, opinions on the best fit in the Jred line?

Just go with the 562xp. You will be glad ya did. The 562xp is a lot stronger than the 555.

Weight diff ya felt could have been in the bars. 20" and 24" Husky solid bars feel pretty heavy to me. I went the the 20" Tech-Lite on my 562xp and man does it feel good! :msp_smile:

Just ran my 562 w/28" full skip again tonite, only an hour but man its fun, I know most will say the bar is too big but thats what I like and the little bit it slows me down in smaller wood is soon forgot when tackling big stuff without changing bars. I just let gravity pull it through the cut and boy does this puppy rev!! I plan a muffler mod after its broke in and out of warranty. I have got it to start on second pull cold every time and 1st pull warm or hot since hamish educated me on the difference between choke and fast idle. I am mostly done cutting firewood for this summer and hope to find a tree ot two that need taken down to keep my saws exercized! I would love to run a 555 just to compare and also a bigger saw like a 372 . The only big saws I have access to are ms460's and I think they have a lot of power but just dont seem to have the smooth power but maybe nothing that powerfull is smooth!

Latest posts

Back