562xp budget build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up this well used and very blown up 562xp last year. I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about and at a price of $100 CAD I figured I couldn't go wrong..

Heres the saw when I started, filthy but complete.

6unZWRC.jpg

c8GTXne.jpg

After some cleaning I came to find out it was a 2014 model with an EL-48 carb and a 6 screw case..

4IK8RvM.jpg

The saw failed both vac and pressure tests so I started tearing it down.

Pulled the flywheel and found this.
LWcC6cM.jpg

Bottom of the seal was completely gone.

Other side was also leaking. So I pulled both seals.

The issue was pretty self explanatory once the seals were out of the way.

e0iW9Rf.jpg

I proceeded to pull the top end and found yet more goodness :) .

HzJKFpf.jpg

There was some transfer and some shallow scratches, my buddy and I cleaned it up and the cylinder looks pretty decent now. Figured I'd try and save myself $200 by running this cylinder..
zMrrddj.jpg

Made a case splitter from some steel I had laying around. It worked perfect and cost me nothing but and hour of time. Win!!
eccnKwl.jpg
gfCZRNl.jpg

Theres all the trash that got sucked through the transfers.
16Edxe8.jpg

Ordered OEM bearings, seals and gaskets and went to work building the bottom end. A meteor piston with caber ring was chosen to complete the top end.

j5GodZL.jpg
H5nqyiw.jpg

IHcvzms.jpg
1Vlshj2.jpg

Decided to do a muffler mod to try and let the exhaust escape faster and maybe reduce how hot the muffler gets. I enlarged the inlet hole on the top by about 100%. I then put a second hole on the outlet which will increase flow but still allow me to use this saw in a provincial forest.
Q03vFjM.jpg

Also trimmed the top cover to let more air out like the new model 562s .
3DkKJfZ.jpg

Heres the complete saw. I have a lathe and was going to do a no base gasket build but once I measured the squish with the base gasket at give or take .030" I called it good enough. The first pull of the cord made me happy that I didnt do a no base gasket and pop up build as this saw has good compression that's for sure.
mfPZc1S.jpg
gePiMyh.jpg

Initial start up was quick, I purged it like 5 times, pulled it over twice and it fired . Toom off the choke and on the 3rd pull it fired right up. I let it run on high idle for a bit and then pulled the trigger. It stalled instantly and then I couldn't get it to restart.. I was like "maybe this is and auto tune issue?"

Let it sit for a min and tried again and it fired right back up, I left it on high idle for a min just to get the engine temp up. Once it got warm i pulled the trigger and it settled down into a nice idle, throttle response was a bit lazy at first but it soon got crisp and very responsive..

I put the saw to some 18" dry frozen poplar and it cut with authority and got better with each cookie.

I must say I've only run this saw for about 10 mins but already I'm super impressed with it. It has the power of my pre xtorq 365 special without the vibration. It's also lighter and seems more nimble to me.

I think is my new favorite saw, been staring at it on my bench since last fall, so glad its done.

It was well worth the wait and I think I got maybe $275 in it so I'm very happy.

Joining this forum and watching Walt's videos on youtube have sure been a blessing. Cutting wood is no longer a chore and really it's not expensive to build your own saws vs buying a new one.

Thabks to all that have helped me out along the way..

So you’re saying I should trim this part of the plastic off of my year 2015 562xp?
9a79b0eeba34816bf9f004679cd40d04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you’re saying I should trim this part of the plastic off of my year 2015 562xp?
9a79b0eeba34816bf9f004679cd40d04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that seems to be a worth while mod as they come like that from the factory now

Picked up this well used and very blown up 562xp last year. I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about and at a price of $100 CAD I figured I couldn't go wrong..

Heres the saw when I started, filthy but complete.

6unZWRC.jpg

c8GTXne.jpg

After some cleaning I came to find out it was a 2014 model with an EL-48 carb and a 6 screw case..

4IK8RvM.jpg

The saw failed both vac and pressure tests so I started tearing it down.

Pulled the flywheel and found this.
LWcC6cM.jpg

Bottom of the seal was completely gone.

Other side was also leaking. So I pulled both seals.

The issue was pretty self explanatory once the seals were out of the way.

e0iW9Rf.jpg

I proceeded to pull the top end and found yet more goodness :) .

HzJKFpf.jpg

There was some transfer and some shallow scratches, my buddy and I cleaned it up and the cylinder looks pretty decent now. Figured I'd try and save myself $200 by running this cylinder..
zMrrddj.jpg

Made a case splitter from some steel I had laying around. It worked perfect and cost me nothing but and hour of time. Win!!
eccnKwl.jpg
gfCZRNl.jpg

Theres all the trash that got sucked through the transfers.
16Edxe8.jpg

Ordered OEM bearings, seals and gaskets and went to work building the bottom end. A meteor piston with caber ring was chosen to complete the top end.

j5GodZL.jpg
H5nqyiw.jpg

IHcvzms.jpg
1Vlshj2.jpg

Decided to do a muffler mod to try and let the exhaust escape faster and maybe reduce how hot the muffler gets. I enlarged the inlet hole on the top by about 100%. I then put a second hole on the outlet which will increase flow but still allow me to use this saw in a provincial forest.
Q03vFjM.jpg

Also trimmed the top cover to let more air out like the new model 562s .
3DkKJfZ.jpg

Heres the complete saw. I have a lathe and was going to do a no base gasket build but once I measured the squish with the base gasket at give or take .030" I called it good enough. The first pull of the cord made me happy that I didnt do a no base gasket and pop up build as this saw has good compression that's for sure.
mfPZc1S.jpg
gePiMyh.jpg

Initial start up was quick, I purged it like 5 times, pulled it over twice and it fired . Toom off the choke and on the 3rd pull it fired right up. I let it run on high idle for a bit and then pulled the trigger. It stalled instantly and then I couldn't get it to restart.. I was like "maybe this is and auto tune issue?"

Let it sit for a min and tried again and it fired right back up, I left it on high idle for a min just to get the engine temp up. Once it got warm i pulled the trigger and it settled down into a nice idle, throttle response was a bit lazy at first but it soon got crisp and very responsive..

I put the saw to some 18" dry frozen poplar and it cut with authority and got better with each cookie.

I must say I've only run this saw for about 10 mins but already I'm super impressed with it. It has the power of my pre xtorq 365 special without the vibration. It's also lighter and seems more nimble to me.

I think is my new favorite saw, been staring at it on my bench since last fall, so glad its done.

It was well worth the wait and I think I got maybe $275 in it so I'm very happy.

Joining this forum and watching Walt's videos on youtube have sure been a blessing. Cutting wood is no longer a chore and really it's not expensive to build your own saws vs buying a new one.

Thabks to all that have helped me out along the way..
Great job on the rebuild, I hope it proves to be a solid and reliable saw for you.
I have a 2013 and a 2014 562 and they have been terrific saws.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

I'll admit I've been a stihl guy for most of my life.

This 562 is an amazing saw, I understand why guys on here like them so much.

Next saw for me will be a carbed 576xp. Theres one on my buddies bench and I'll be picking it up once its together.

Really like these 5 series saws!

An update on the 562..

Spent the afternoon felling and bucking up a couple 20" poplars at my neighbors house.

I brought my 562, 260 and my 365.

I planned to run 3 saws today but somehow I couldnt put down the 562. I always run several saws when firewood scrounging but honestly I see no reason now.

I'm so impressed with this saw. Its nimble enough to do limbing, has enough power for felling and bucks logs up very fast..

I'm also impressed with the fuel economy of the saw, seems to run a long time on a tank.

This saw will be my go to 90% of the time I'm guessing.

Shes getting stronger thats for sure.

Heres the saw noodling some frozen ash yesterday. Chain had some time on it but she still rips through the wood with authority

Nice project and documentation, I always enjoy scrolling through looking at photos. Saw doesn't look too used but that crank seal, yikes!

Could you post a photo of the inside of the top cover removed so we can see where to trim that edge along the clutch side? Is that to help with hot restarts?

Nice project and documentation, I always enjoy scrolling through looking at photos. Saw doesn't look too used but that crank seal, yikes!

Could you post a photo of the inside of the top cover removed so we can see where to trim that edge along the clutch side? Is that to help with hot restarts?

If I have time tomorrow ill pull the cover off and take a picture..

The top cover mod is to help remove heat and maybe get the saw ro run a bit cooler. It may help with hot starts but im not sure at this point.

I only have about 5 hours on the saw as of right now. It runs and starts perfect at this point.

I just ran it tonight again and man does this little saw have power. Its the best all around saw I've run to date.

This saw is going to get a lot of use felling and blocking up firewood this summer that is for sure..

Good job on the build... the 562 are good saws and when they run right they rip! Have fun!

So I got a new 20" 3/8 .050 versa cut bar and 2 loops of exl chain for my birthday today..

Im anxious to try out this new combo.

9VG2XJZ.jpg
EhQuDMG.jpg

I usually run power match or stihl pro bars but I decided to go light weight this time.

Well see how this bar lasts.

Back