562xp Pain in the ###

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeotherGuy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last month I bought a 562xp AT.
This saw was hard to hot start so I took it to the dealer and he found nothing.
I changed how I was starting the saw, following the manual to a "T" and noticed
some small improvement. Today it went back to hot hard starts. I seem to have
some better luck when I leave the decompression valve out. Usualy I end up having
to hold the throtle to start it.
I read a lot about this saw before I bought i,t and noticed that people either love
them or hate them, with the latter being the minority.
I called the dealer and its going back in Monday, and I told him if it doesnt get fixed
this time I will be getting a refund.
I have never had problems like this with my 13 year old 55 rancher.
So. What can you guys tell me?
Thanks in advance.
Jason

Bummer! Mine has been great since new, almost two years.

Do you use the purge bulb when restarting? I use it when the saw sits 5-10 minutes, or longer.

How about the high idle? Some say use it for hot starts, but mine doesn't need it.

Primer bulb usually does it for me nowadays. If not, choke, then choke off like sunfish said (that gets you high idle).

Hi Sunfish.
I have tried the priming bulb, no priming bulb, high idle, no high idle, choke no choke etc.
I seem to have the best luck with leaving the compression valve out, and engaging high idle.
But today nothing seemed to work. I keept ending up having to start by holding the throttle
on and pulling many times.
It will start right back up if I do it within a minute, but if it sets for 10 minutes thats when I seem
to have the most trouble.
I figure $750.00 for a 60cc saw it better almost start itself.
The only thing I can think to add is I do let it idle when im moving big rounds so I can noodle them.
This is usually between 30 seconds and a minute and a half.
Glad you are having no problems tho.

Mine did act funky at first, but straighten itself out after a few tanks of mix. How much have you used yours? How many tanks through it?

Main issue I see with these saws is that some dealers aren't up to speed in diagnosing and repairing the new fuel delivery systems. Might be as simple as replacing the carb. No matter what, a hard-starting saw is worthless to anyone trying to get real work done. If you suspect the dealer doesn't know how to fix a 562, my suggestion would be to exchange it for a 372xp; they handle well, great power/weight ratio, reliable, and most dealers can repair them in their sleep. If you get a refund, a Stihl MS362 is a reliable saw with good power for 60cc's; the one I used started hot on 1 pull.

I hate it's giving you trouble , mine did kinda like sunfish's it seemed to act better the more I ran it . I assume you did the initial training cuts for (x) number of minutes ? Best of luck ......Termite

I dislike hearing these kind of reports on these saws cause I'd like to have one:msp_unsure:

I've only managed about a tank and a half of trigger time on mine so far. My Father has managed 4 (I may never get it back). It was a bit goofy at first (I thought I read the entire manual, but I must have missed the initial training steps). However, he had some trouble starting it warm as well, until I showed him the factory sequence for hot starts. We haven't had a lick of trouble since. I wouldn't go trading it in yet as once you really do run it and it breaks in, I'll wager that it will become your go-to saw for general firewood. I would suggest however, that you call around and find a decent Husky shop who actually understands the eccentricities of the AT saws. I asked the folks at the shop when I bought mine if they had the factory tester. They indicated that they didn't as at that time, of the 14-550xp's, 6-562xp's and 2-576xp's, they had sold, NONE had come back with a problem. They indicated that if and when they needed one, they would buy one. We'll see. You've paid hard-earned money for what is turning out by and large to be a good product, don't give up on it yet. All dealers are NOT created equal. The rancher that I cut for bought a new MS391 from them. The mag was defective. They could have replaced the mag, but simply swapped the saw out for a new one a year later. That's the service I've come to expect.

I picked up my 550xp the other day and that was the first thing I noticed, it was a devil to start! I mean like 15 or 20 pulls at least before it would start. I watched a video about the problem and found out it was me! I wasn't using the kill/choke lever the right way. Once I figured out how to use it, it fires first pull every time.

I'm on my second 562 and never had any issues. I've only just crank and cut out of the box, and they both cut like 70cc saws with a proper MM. For some real fun try a 16" bar with slightly aggressive rakers!

With the AT's it looks as if you'll get a great saw or a problematic one from the get-go.

Last edited:
Post the first 6 digits of your serial number, and we will go from there.

Most of these "issues" are due to the individual understanding of a "warm" restart.

Use of the air purge should never be required in a "warm" restart situation, and is solely an aid in reducing the number of pulls required to get an infrequently used saw to start.

Autotune is still 90% old school chainsaw, its nowhere near as scary as Algebra.

I'm on my second 562 and never had any issues. I've only just crank and cut out of the box, and they both cut like 70cc saws with a proper MM. For some real fun try a 16" bar with slightly aggressive rakers!

Did you do the MM on your 562's or did someone else? I ask because I would like to do that to mine but I don't want it to look like a hack job...

Curious about the serial number. Might need the new updated coil. A few of the early 562's had a coil that would lose reserve voltage, (necessary at "rope" rpm's to fire the engine), when hot and be a pain to restart, and your symptoms seem to fit that. Not a big deal for a dealer who knows what he's doing.

it gets talked about a lot here, and the impression is that it's a big deal, but I've only seen this on a very limited number of saws. One of which happened to be my 555 :msp_mad:. When that coil acted up, it just would not start without letting it sit for 5 minutes. There was no combination or sequence of pushing buttons that was going to solve the problem. New coil, and it's never done it since. :cool2:

Did you do the MM on your 562's or did someone else? I ask because I would like to do that to mine but I don't want it to look like a hack job...

A crazed chimp did it. He'll give it a proper hack job. :bowdown:

Last edited:

With the AT's it looks as if you'll get a great saw or a problematic one from the get-go.

Why your 2nd Kidd?

Back