576xp sealed crankshaft bearing in 372xp case??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are getting away from my question. I just asked if it would work, not that it was the most cost effective option. Thanks for the replies and answering my question.

How about the case stuffers off the 576 crank shaft though? Anyone have both the stuffers and a 372 crank laying around?

As far as I can tell when comparing them. I have not measured though.

Brad what do you think about the case stuffers off the 576 possibly fitting a 372 crank?

That's what I was afraid of. Then the 576 bearing won't work on either side of a 372.
Think about it a minute, if its 1 mm wider that's not going to matter since you wont need that extra surface area to hold a seal! One place where this would come in handy is like already posted: when you blow out the crankcase and it wont hold a seal anymore on a 372 and yes Ive had that happen. I ended up buying a set of AM case halves but it would have been cheaper and simpler to use the different bearing if I had only thought of trying that.
In the interest of full disclosure, Ive worked on way more 575/576 saws than I have 372s! I went to the 5 series saws when they first came out and haven't bought a new 372 since. The only reason I have any of them now is because I dug through the junk pile and rebuilt a few of them.

I’ve never seen stuffers in an XT. Just tore two apart last week. Am I missing something?

The bearings only go in so far before they bottom out against the side of the pocket. Any extra width will rest up against the crankshaft which will likely be enough to keep the case halves from coming together tight. And if it does get tight there will likely be enough side load stress on the bearings to cause failure.

Jim I agree. It seems like the only reason you would want to put a 576 bearing in a 372 would be if the case is damaged and you cant install a new seal in it. You could grind down the lip where the seal goes to gain 1 mm of clearance for the 576 bearing.
Far from ideal.

Latest posts

Back