$60 gas Bill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got my gas bill in the mail today and I was quite surprised. I grew up with wood heat and didnt know how much money dad was saving. I am heating 2500 Sq ft with my Kuma Tamarack. I still use gas for the hot water tank and Gas dryer. I hear the furnace kick on around 430am. I am saving approx $275 per month the main floor is around 74 degrees while the upstairs is around 66 :yoyo:

I am very pleased

Jeff

I got my gas bill in the mail today and I was quite surprised. I grew up with wood heat and didnt know how much money dad was saving. I am heating 2500 Sq ft with my Kuma Tamarack. I still use gas for the hot water tank and Gas dryer. I hear the furnace kick on around 430am. I am saving approx $275 per month the main floor is around 74 degrees while the upstairs is around 66 :yoyo:

I am very pleased

Jeff

Isn't it great? Know the feeling well, with gas furnace cold-iron for the fifth successive season now. (Don't want to disturb the spiders, either.)

Gas bill for DHW and cook-stove is now steady at ~$17. Not bragging, just saying- turning off pilot-light cuts consumption too.

It's good to know that you're not driving the "fracking" of the Marcellus and all the attendant collateral damage.

The best part is when you can minimize physical & financial suffering. :rockn:

Nice feeling to be off the hook with the gas man, I've been heating with an OWB for 6 years now.
Just wondering how you keep the upstairs of your house cooler that the downstairs?
Heat just seems to go to the upstairs.

I am also on my 3rd year burning wood. My propane bill dropped from $2500/yr to less than $500!!!:laugh:

Love the smell of burnin' wood!!!

Roger

Nice feeling to be off the hook with the gas man, I've been heating with an OWB for 6 years now.
Just wondering how you keep the upstairs of your house cooler that the downstairs?
Heat just seems to go to the upstairs.

My stove sits in the far back corner of my house, the stairs are in the front opposite corner. Each room away from the stove gets a little cooler.

Jeff

we are on our third year of burning wood and still as excited as day one.we heat our entire home with a fireplace insert and consume around a half of a wheelbarrow of wood per day on average.our natural gas boiler has not been ran in 370 days(+-)since we were out of town for a wedding. I thought about switching to an OWB but I know I would have to use ALOT more wood than I currently am.our gas bill runs around 35-40 dollars a month for hot water and dryer.used to be over 200 a month

If you want it more even you can run just your furnace fan full time and it will even things out. Some like to sleep cold though.

Congrats to everyone on your savings. I heated with wood for many years and when my inside furnace cracked, I went back to LP gas. Soon it was costing me something like $500.00 per month to heat my house again. Once I installed my Central Boiler I soon seen the savings. The house is much warmer, I have free hot water, heat out in the garage and now thinking of a way to run heat around my stock tank so I can save on a little more elect during the winter month.

On the positive side, I don't see the chances of LP gas ever going down in price so to me, our OWB was a good investment.

the only gas we use is for the stove, dryer and hotwater. it might only be 30 bucks a month, but they tack on a "delivery charge" of an extra 40 bucks.

good ol' new york state...always looking out for the people.:angry:

We heat with a free standing stove and actually never touch the gas, unless we are leaving for the weekend or something which happens about twice a winter.

Propane is stupid expensive, but I can typically stretch a tank about 2-2.5 years since our hot water and range are both electric along with the dryer. Electric bill for me and my wife is usually about $55

Natural gas isn't an option out where we are at unfortunately but I cut all my wood for free so it is alright in the end.

the only gas we use is for the stove, dryer and hotwater. it might only be 30 bucks a month, but they tack on a "delivery charge" of an extra 40 bucks.

good ol' new york state...always looking out for the people.:angry:

National grid charges me a "customer charge" of $12 a month in addition to the gas I use. It must be nice to collect $144 a year before the meter even turns.

Your stove is made about 3 miles from my house actually. I'm betting here in North Idaho I save about 200-300/month by heating with wood. Heating season is October to late April so 6+ solid months. That means every year I operate my stoves I'm saving 1200+ dollars/year. I'm on year 7 now so that gives you a good idea of my savings.

National grid charges me a "customer charge" of $12 a month in addition to the gas I use. It must be nice to collect $144 a year before the meter even turns.

You're paying for the connection charge and if you think about it, how often does the gas service go down? The same thing with electricity, once you understand how reliable utilities are and what they do to remain that way you understand why you get charged the connection charge. Most utilities only make an overall profit of 3-7%

You're paying for the connection charge and if you think about it, how often does the gas service go down? The same thing with electricity, once you understand how reliable utilities are and what they do to remain that way you understand why you get charged the connection charge. Most utilities only make an overall profit of 3-7%

you must either work for them or have stock in them.

I went back to using a little bit of L.P. in the fireplace insert in the family room this winter.I haul the L.P. to the dealer from the loading terminal and for the last 4 years I've cut 90% of my firewood out of the woods owned by the farmers who own the L.P. dealership and will get more wood off of them next year.I figure its worth it to me to support them back.They've treated me awful good over the years and I've known them and their kids all my life. SCOTT

Ridiculous Service Charges, etc.

Nowadays it's not uncommon around here to pay 30% or more of your natural gas and water bills in the form of service charges, infrastructure fees, and other assessments that have absolutely nothing to do with energy usage.

Then, if you don't make a minimum usage amount, they slap on a special assessment for lack of use. That's your "reward" for trying to conserve fossil fuel energy. :bang:

Back